This junction was directly west of Cronberry station. The Auchinleck to Muirkirk [1st] line of 1848 was met by the line from Ayr via Belston Junction in 1872.
The main line was doubled in the 1880s, after which the 1872 line (a single track) doubled just west of the junction. A siding from this line ran east to the south of Cronberry station, to form its goods yard.
The signal box was originally on the north side of the junction and was replaced with a new box between the junction and good siding.
The 1872 line closed in 1964. The box closed in 1966. The line closed in 1976, retained for Gasswater Branch Junction and the coal branch.
The formation of both main line and branch can still be seen.
| Mosshouse Pit|
Cronberry Pit No 4
Gass Water Branch Junction
Gass Water Exchange Sidings
Cronberry No 4 Pit Signal Box
Braehead Pits Nos 4 and 5
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|