This is a two platform station with a small car park.
The main station building was on the southbound platform, with a footbridge and shelter on the northbound.
The goods yard was to the north, approached from the west. On the south side of the station, also approached from the west, was a short mineral line to Highhouse Colliery, with exchange sidings alongside the station on its south side.
To the east was Muirkirk Junction (sometimes referred to as Muirkirk Branch Junction). This was a double track junction. Muirkirk Junction Shed, a two road shed, was in the 'V' of the junction. Directly to the east was Gilmilnscroft Junction, on the Muirkirk line, the branch approached from the east and running north to collieries. The shed's turntable was in the 'V' of the latter junction.
The signal box was at the west end of the northbound platform. Gilmilnscroft box was to the east, at the junction on the Muirkirk line. It was located on the north side of the junction.
Both boxes were replaced with a single box on the northbound platform in 1957. The bridge to the east of the station, over Main Street, was replaced - a four track bridge replaced with a three track. The junction was altered.
The station building survived into the late 1980s, including a long period of closure. Platforms were re-aligned to the east, the station building (while it still stood) being off the end of the platform.
The signal box survived until 1989, although it had been switched out for some time and the windows were boarded up. The goods yard, later permanent way sidings, was taken out of use.
The present footbridge here was moved from Crookston.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Muirkirk Junction|
Muirkirk Junction Shed
Dumfries House [House]
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 2
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 4
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 3
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 1
Blackstone Branch Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|09/08/1848||Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway)|
Auchinleck to Muirkirk [1st] opened. The line served the Lugar Iron Works, the Muirkirk Iron Works and various coalmines.
|03/07/1950||Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Cronberry to Auchinleck closed to passengers.
|06/12/1976||Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Cronberry to Auchinleck closed to freight.
|12/05/1984||Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway|
Auchinleck station re-opened.
|/ /2005||Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Work begins on re-instating the Auchinleck to Cronberry to Powharnal (Gaswater) line. RailScot note: this work was aborted following the survey and pegging out of the centreline of the route.