Alloway Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Alloway Junction (1906-1968)

Opened on the Maidens and Dunure Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Opened on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.


Description

This was a junction south of Ayr. It was the junction between the 1906 Maidens and Dunure Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway) (Carrick Coast line) and the 1856 Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.

This was a double track junction and the Carrick Coast line dropped to a single track a little south of the junction. The signal box was located in the 'V' of the junction. It opened with the junction.

The Carrick Coast line closed south of Heads of Ayr [2nd] (excluded) in 1955. The line remained open for the Butlins Holiday Camp at Heads of Ayr until 1968.

The main line remains open as a double track line, the branch is overgrown close to the junction.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map