Ayr [1st] (1839-1857)
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a terminus of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. The station was on the north bank of the River Ayr and close to the river.
A later goods line continued on a viaduct over the river to a position on the mouth of the river close to Ayr Harbour.
The station was replaced by Ayr Townhead (quickly renamed Ayr [2nd] and became a goods station. The site was fairly hemmed in and did not allow convenient extension south. The replacement station was on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway which skirted what was then the eastern edge of the town.
Little remains today, the station site having been redeveloped for housing and light industrial use.
Sometimes referred to as Ayr Old.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [1st)
Other railway and industry locations
Ayr Harbour South
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Ayr Harbour Junction
Newton Carpet Works
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
St John^s Tower
Ayr Station Hotel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|