West Street Junction [CR] (1849-1971)
Opened on the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway.
Opened on the Polloc and Govan Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This junction was between the Govan and Polloc Railway's Windmillcroft Quay line (1840) and the General Terminus and Glasgow Harbour Railway (1849). The facilities at General Terminus were superior to those at Windmillcroft Quay, which it replaced entirely in 1867.
The signal box was in the 'V' of the junction. The West Street Goods depot was to the west. The box was replaced in 1908 along with another box in the mineral depot.
The new box closed in 1972, replaced by the Glasgow Central Signalling Centre.
The line remains open, but the Port Eglinton Basin line, the Windmillcroft Quay line and West Street Mineral Depot are all closed, the location is no longer a junction.
The line runs at a lower level than the surrounding passenger lines and is known as the 'Burma Road'.
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
West Street [Subway]
Main Street Gorbals
Bridge Street [Subway]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
West Street Tunnel
Eglinton Street Tunnels
Eglinton Street Shed
South Side Carriage Shed
Tradeston Gasworks No 3
Larkfield Carriage Sidings
Tradeston Waste Destructor
West Street Goods
Muirhouse Engineering Works
Eglinton Street Junction
Port Eglinton Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways