This quay was on the south bank of the River Clyde. It was also known as Broomielaw Harbour. The Kingston Dock was built to the immediate south of it, the entry to the dock being to the west end of the quay. Clyde Place Quay was to the east and, beyond the Kingston Dock entry, Springfield Quay to the west.
This quay was the waterside terminus (Windmillcroft Quay Depot) (from around 1840 to 1850) of the Polloc and Govan Railway which served the Govan Colliery and the Govan Iron Works.
By 1911 the berth allocations were
15, 17, 19 & 21 William Sloan & Co for the south west of England, Bristol and South Wales
23 & 25 Clyde Shipping Co for London and the south east of England
27 for general cargo
The transit shed was demolished except for its extreme eastern end which was used as a Euroyachts showroom. A travelling crane also survived, allowing vessels to be taken in and out of the water.
The pedestrian ^Squiggly Bridge^ crosses to the north bank here.
Central Station Broomielaw Hoist
West Street [Subway]
Glasgow Central Low Level
Bridge Street [Subway]
Shields Road [Subway]
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow St Enoch
Shields Road [GPJ]
Shields Road [CGU]
Charing Cross [GC and DR]
| Kingston Dock|
Windmillcroft Quay Depot
Springfield Quay Depot
Clyde Place Quay
Dempster, Moore & Co
Hyde Park Works [1st]
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central]
Clyde Place Signal Box
Clyde Viaduct [Glasgow Central] [1st]
Cook Street Goods
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1842||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Rutherglen to Windmillcroft Quay opened to goods. (Opened to passengers at unknown date.)
|14/03/1867||Polloc and Govan Railway|
Line along West Street to Windmillcroft Quay lifted for a length of 35 chains. Stub of line is left at southern end from West Street Junction serving the Tradeston Destructor