Kelso Branch (North British Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed. This line runs through countryside and small towns. The only towns of any size were at either end of the line, Kelso and St Boswells.






Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


St Boswells to Kelso

From Kelso Junction to Kelso. The line was originally double track but was later singled.

This junction was south of St Boswells station, where there was a bay platform for branch trains, and was formed between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)] (1849) and the Kelso Branch (North British Railway) (1850).
...

More details
'Crab' 2-6-0 42752 off Carlisle Canal shed approaching Kelso Junction with a down freight in September 1962. [Ref query 681] ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) /09/1962
Stanier Black 5 4-6-0 no 44767 with the much photographed northbound train of diesel shunters over the Waverley route on 11 April 1967, seen here ...
Bruce McCartney 11/04/1967
Approaching Kelso Junction from the south on 11 April 1967. Black 5 44767 is heading for Edinburgh hauling Hunslet class 05 DM shunters D2608, D2617 ...
Bruce McCartney 11/04/1967
A pickup freight off the Kelso branch is held at Kelso Junction in 1966 as a 'Peak' passes with a southbound train on the Waverley Route. ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //1966

In 1942 the government opened a munitions factory at Charlesfield, near St Boswells.
...

More details
An extract of the working timetable for a working from Hawick to Kelso and Jedburgh, 7th January 1963.
...
Bruce McCartney 26/11/2017
View west from the former Kelso Branch showing the branch to the Charlesfield Munitions Factory (on the left) approaching the former site, now an ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
The former junction for the Charlesfield Munitions Factory looking east in 1999. I was standing on the Kelso branch with the Charlesfield siding off ...
Ewan Crawford //1999
The SLS (Scottish Area)/BLS 'Scottish Rambler no 2' joint Easter rail tour was a 4-day marathon that ran from 12-15 April 1963 and involved no ...
K A Gray 14/04/1963

There was a level crossing at this station. The station platforms have gone, but station building remains standing by the level crossing. Level crossing gates remain. ...

More details
D3891 with the last freight from Kelso about to run over Maxton level crossing on 29 March 1968. Note the unofficial headboard specially constructed ...
Bruce McCartney 29/03/1968
Crossing gate at Maxton Station. ...
Clive Barlow 25/05/2006
Maxton Station looking towards Rutherford. ...
Clive Barlow 25/05/2006
Maxton Station looking towards Rutherford. The other crossing gate still exists. ...
Clive Barlow 25/05/2006

This was a two platform station until singling of the line. There was a siding for a loading bank on the south side, approached from the west and a second siding on the north side, approached from the east. Both sidings were east of the station. The platforms were staggered, the eastbound being offset a little west of the westbound.
...

More details
Rutherford Station site looking towards Roxburgh. ...
Clive Barlow 25/05/2006
View from a goods train passing through Rutherford station in the the 1960s. The station closed to passengers in June 1964, with the line from Kelso ...
Dougie Squance (Courtesy Bruce McCartney) //
Station remains at Rutherford, between St Boswells and Roxburgh, in 1998. Rutherford station closed to passengers in 1964 and the line back to Kelso ...
Ewan Crawford //1998

This was a three platform junction station.
...

More details
Roxburgh Viaduct across the River Teviot in 2005. ...
John Furnevel 20/06/2005
Wide view of Roxburgh Viaduct over the River Teviot looking southeast in June 2005. Note the housing developments in the background and the low level ...
John Furnevel /06/2005
B1 no 61324 near Roxburgh Junction on 14 April 1963 with the SLS/BLS Scottish Rambler No.2 (Joint Easter Rail Tour) which included a visit to ...
K A Gray 14/04/1963
One of two pairs of bridge abutments to the south of Roxburgh station, photographed on 7 July 2013. This pair carried the NB line towards Kelso and on ...
John Yellowlees 07/07/2013

This is a disused 220yd 14 arch double track viaduct built on a curve of the former Kelso Branch (North British Railway).
...

More details
Roxburgh Viaduct viewed from the south under a wonderful blue winter sky. Roxburgh Junction station was off to the left. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016
This is the base of the signal post at the west end of Roxburgh Viaduct [see image 25229]. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016
The Kelso (east) end of Roxburgh Viaduct in August 2013, with the River Teviot off to the left. [Ref query 4441] ...
John Furnevel 13/08/2013
The east end of Roxburgh Viaduct looking west to the station. Site of 'The Great Escape' [see image 17963]. After singling of the line in 1933 the ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016

This was a set of sidings accessed from a reversing spur on the south side of the line, approached from the west.
...

More details
Heiton Siding loading bank looking east towards Kelso. This siding was at the south end of the Roxburgh Viaduct. Originally approached by a reversal ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016
View east along a lovely countryside footpath, the former double track line to Kelso. The line was singled in 1933 with the westbound track being ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016

This was a temporary terminus while Kelso station was prepared. Nothing remains to be seen.
...

More details
This view looks west at the approximate site of Wallace Nick station. This was where the former alignment of the A698 crossed the railway. The former ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016

This was a four platform station, two through platforms and a bay at either end. It replaced a temporary terminus at Wallace Nick, just to the west.
...

More details
The last freight coupling up at Kelso on 29 March 1968, being watched by 'Wink' Henry and local photographer David Welsh. D3891 is carrying the ...
Bruce McCartney 29/03/1968
View east at Kelso. Before 1998 this view also included the B6352 road bridge over the line. The bulk of the station was beyond the bridge (roughly ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2016
A view from the last freight to Kelso approaching Kelso station on 29 March 1968. [Ref query 144] [See image 22937] ...
D Welsh Collection [Courtesy Bruce McCartney] 29/03/1968
Here is a picture of a station bench from Maxton railway station closed in 1964. on the old Kelso line. It is outside the Church at Maxton still in ...
Alan Cormack /10/2016


This end-on junction was located at Mellendean. Sprouston station was a short distance to the east and Kelso is to the west.
...

More details