Opened on the Kelso Branch (North British Railway).
This was a four platform station, two through platforms and a bay at either end. It replaced a temporary terminus at Wallace Nick, just to the west.
The North British Railway branch formed an end-on junction with the North Eastern Railway to the east of the station at Kelso at Sprouston Junction.
The goods yard (which was approached from the east) being part of the branch from St Boswells.
The station closed to passengers in 1964, the line east from the goods yard reversing spur (formerly the eastbound line) closed in 1965 and it closed completely in 1968.
The Kelso station site has been converted into a road. The station was actually at Maxwellhaugh on the south bank of the River Tweed, not in Kelso itself.
Kelso Abbey is in Kelso, to the north of the former station. The station was at Maxwellheugh, separated from the town by the River Tweed. A bridge, completed in 1804, designed by John Rennie crosses the river.
Other railway and industry locations
Jedfoot Bridge Viaduct
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Berwick to St. Boswells: Via Kelso Including the Jedburgh Branch (Country Railway Routes)
Kelso 1919: Roxburghshire 10.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'