Kelso Branch (York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This station on the East Coast Main Line was south of the Royal Border Bridge and at a junction with the line to Kelso. The location was a station, junction, locomotive shed, yard and start of a zig-zag line to dockside (Tweed Dock).
...

More details
9019 Royal Highland Fusilier roars through Tweedmouth on 19 September 1970 with the 10:30 Aberdeen - Kings Cross. The Deltic will have taken ...
Bill Jamieson 19/09/1970
Brush Type 4 No. 1545 has rather beaten the camera as it accelerates off the Royal Border Bridge and past the junction with the Kelso line (still in ...
Bill Jamieson 19/09/1970
The north end of the former repair shop at Tweedmouth MPD in September 1970, with the once all-important bike shed prominent in the foreground. ...
Bill Jamieson 19/09/1970
A general view of the repair shop at Tweedmouth from the weed infested shed yard on 19 September 1970. Inside is class 03 shunter No D2056 whose ...
Bill Jamieson 19/09/1970

This two platform station was located at Velvethall, Northumberland, just over a mile south east of Horncliffe. The goods yard was on the south side of the line, reached by reversal. On the north side, opposite the goods yard, was a loop and the signal box. The main station building, stone built and of two storeys, was on the westbound platform.
...

More details
The privately owned former station at Velvet Hall, Northumberland, in the summer of 2005. The station had lost its passenger service in 1955, with the ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2005
Entrance to the former Velvet Hall station, serving the village of Horncliffe, Northumberland, approximately 5 miles south west of Berwick. The ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2006
Loading bank in the gloom of a forest at Velvet Hall. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2002
Base of signal post (and mystery object) on the Norham side of Velvet Hall station. ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2002

This was a two platform station.
...

More details
Road entrance to the old station at Norham on the Tweedmouth - Kelso line, which closed to all traffic in 1965. ...
John Yellowlees 11/07/2015
Norham - looking north - the remains of the bridge over the road can just be made out through the trees - this carried the line on to Velvet Hall, the ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2005
Norham station entrance, looking west. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Norham station, looking east. Signalbox to left, station centre left and goods yard right. ...
Ewan Crawford //

This was a small two platform station. Platforms were staggered, the eastbound being slightly west of the westbound. There was a single storey stone building at the east end of the eastbound platform and small timber waiting shelter on the westbound. At the east end, on the south side of the line, was a goods yard added in the 1880s. The signal box was at the east end of the platforms.
...

More details
Westbound platform at Twizell. The view looks south-west towards Coldstream. Behind the camera the station building still stands on the site of the ...
Ewan Crawford 27/12/2002

This station was originally named Cornhill for the nearby Cornhill Castle. It was located in England but served Coldstream, a mile and a half north west over the River Tweed, in Scotland.
...

More details
View from a carriage window of the RCTS (West Riding Branch) Borders Railtour near Coldstream on 9 July 1961. NBR 4-4-0 no 256 Glen ...
K A Gray 09/07/1961
Coldstream station was actually located across the border in the nearby village of Cornhill-on-Tweed. This view is south across the A697 from the ...
Ken Strachan 21/05/2014
Smartly turned out to the end. Coldstream's Stationmaster checks train doors on the final eastbound passenger service, the 4.2 pm from St Boswells to ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 13/06/1964
Scene east of Coldstream in 1969 showing D3638 with a contractor's train. Much of the tracklifting and recovery work on this line was undertaken by ...
Bruce McCartney //1969

This was a small two platform station. It was just north of Sunnylaws Farm. The village of Wark is just under a mile to the north. Platforms were staggered on either side of a level crossing with a signal box on the east side of the crossing, north of the line. The eastbound platform was to the west and westbound on the east side of the level crossing. The station building, stone built and of two ...

More details
The former Sunilaws station in July 2005. Photograph showing the uphill approach to the site of the level crossing. View is west towards Kelso. ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2005
View from the surviving staggered platform at Sunilaws, Northumberland, in July 2005 looking west towards Kelso over the site of the level crossing. ...
John Furnevel 05/07/2005
View over the level crossing towards the main station from the westbound platform at Sunilaws in 1968. The station on the Kelso - Tweedmouth route had ...
Bruce McCartney //1968

The view west from Carham on 3 March 2014, looking back towards Kelso. ...
Bruce McCartney 03/03/2014
The trackbed through the staggered platforms at Carham, now a pleasant walkway. View back towards Kelso in March 2014. ...
Bruce McCartney 03/03/2014
Looking west, back towards Kelso, along the staggered eastbound platform at Carham in early 1966, approximately a year after closure of the line. ...
Bruce McCartney //1966
Remains at Carham station on the Kelso - Tweedmouth line, looking east on 3 March 2014. [Ref query 2383] ...
Bruce McCartney 03/03/2014

This station was a two platform station on a double track railway. The main station building on the up (eastbound) platform remains in use as a house. The trackbed has been infilled. Portions of the platforms remain intact at the west end.
...

More details
The former Sprouston station from west in early 1998. [See image 58917] [Ref query 13240] ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Scene at Sprouston looking east towards Tweedmouth in 1968. The station had lost its passenger service in 1955, with the line between Kelso and ...
Bruce McCartney //1968
Bridge built by the NER a mile east of Sprouston, between Kelso and Tweedmouth, on the route opened in 1849. Hard to believe now that this line once ...
Bruce McCartney 06/05/2013
Road approach to the modified former Station at Sprouston, on the Kelso branch (closed July 1955). Photographed looking south in September 2006. [See ...
John Furnevel 02/09/2006

This end-on junction was located at Mellendean. Sprouston station was a short distance to the east and Kelso is to the west.
...

More details