Cornhill Branch (North Eastern Railway)

Introduction

This line is closed.






Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This station was originally named Cornhill for the nearby Cornhill Castle. It was located in England but served Coldstream, a mile and a half north west over the River Tweed, in Scotland.
...

More details
View from a carriage window of the RCTS (West Riding Branch) Borders Railtour near Coldstream on 9 July 1961. NBR 4-4-0 no 256 Glen ...
K A Gray 09/07/1961
Coldstream station was actually located across the border in the nearby village of Cornhill-on-Tweed. This view is south across the A697 from the ...
Ken Strachan 21/05/2014
Smartly turned out to the end. Coldstream's Stationmaster checks train doors on the final eastbound passenger service, the 4.2 pm from St Boswells to ...
Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven) 13/06/1964
Scene east of Coldstream in 1969 showing D3638 with a contractor's train. Much of the tracklifting and recovery work on this line was undertaken by ...
Bruce McCartney //1969

Cornhill Junction, south of Coldstream station. The branch to Alnwick is straight ahead running directly south whereas the route to Kelso curved ...
Ewan Crawford //1998
Simply beautiful. The single track solum from Cornhill Junction heading for Alnwick in May 2014. Taken ten feet forward and left from my previous ...
Ken Strachan 21/05/2014
A particularly rural outpost of the NER was Cornhill Junction, seen looking south in May 2014. The track to the right - now passable by bike if you ...
Ken Strachan 21/05/2014


This was a single platform station with a loop, large two storey stone build station building (typical of the line and with a timber extension on the platform side) and large goods yard.
...

More details
The first station south from Cornhill on the branch line to Alnwick was at Mindrum, Northumberland [see image 10891]. The station closed to passengers ...
John Furnevel 02/09/2006
In the event of delays and cancellations on the Cornhill branch appropriate facilities for prospective passengers waiting at Mindrum were provided at ...
John Furnevel 02/09/2006
In the foothills of the Cheviots stands this road sign for Mindrum station (closed to passengers in September 1930). Note the sign reads 'From Wooler' ...
Bruce McCartney 23/08/2011
Entrance to the impressive former station at Mindrum on the Cornhill branch on 2 September 2006. ...
John Furnevel 02/09/2006

This was a level crossing with a signal box on the north side of line, west of the crossing.
...

More details

Kilham level crossing and sidings.
...

More details

A single platform station with the platform on a passing loop. The platform was on the south (Kirknewton) side of the station with a goods yard at the west end of the station, approached from the east via the west end of the loop line.
...

More details
The surviving stone signal box at the south end of the platform at Kirknewton on the Wooler branch. Viewed from the roadside in October 2006. The ...
John Furnevel 24/10/2006
The former station at Kirknewton, Northumberland, on the Wooler branch. Closed to passengers in September 1930, the building is now a private ...
John Furnevel 24/10/2006
The former station at Kirknewton, on the Wooler branch, looking north along the platform towards Coldstream in October 2006. ...
John Furnevel 24/10/2006
The former station at Kirknewton on the Wooler branch in the summer of 1969. The station closed to passengers in 1930 but the line itself survived ...
Bruce McCartney 23/08/1969



This was a single platform station with a passing loop. A goods yard was served from a reversing spur which ran east from the east end of the platform line. The platform line was the loop, the other line being a straight through.
...

More details
Not often I find myself lost for words... the former Akeld station on the Cornhill branch. October 2006. ...
John Furnevel 24/10/2006

This is Bendor Level Crossing signal box just north of Wooler and near Akeld on Friday the 13th of January. A little bit of snow is on the ground. I ...
Alan Cormack 13/01/2017
What a pleasant surprise. A signal box still standing alongside the site of Bendor level crossing just to the east of Akeld station in October 2006. ...
John Furnevel 24/10/2006

This was a two platform station in the east of Wooler. The two storey station building, typical of the line, was on the northbound platform, that closest to the town. This had a large timber extension porch on the platform side.
...

More details
Wooler goods shed, a substantial building, appears well maintained and is now used by an antique dealer. 10th May 2017. ...
Alan Cormack 10/05/2017
Wooler goods shed, a substantial building which looks to be well maintained. Now used by an antique dealer and photographed on 10th May 2017. ...
Alan Cormack 10/05/2017
This is the railway formation just before Wooler Station. It is now used as the car park for the Bowling club which is on the left, a hive of activity ...
Alan Cormack 07/10/2017
The old goods shed at Wooler, photographed from the A697 on 24 October 2006. The building had recently been taken over by an antiques dealer. [See ...
John Furnevel 24/10/2006

This was a single platform station with a loop. The platform was on the north side of the loop, the southern track being a goods bypass. The station building was of two storeys, typical of the line. This had a long glazed porch on the platform side.
...

More details

This was a single platform station with a passing loop. The platform was on the west side with a two storey station building typical of the line and with a timber porch - extended at one end by a signal box (replacing an earlier box on the east side of the line opposite the south end of the platform).
...

More details
Part of the forecourt and main building of the converted station at Wooperton on the Cornhill branch, seen from the main road on 8 August 2007. ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2007
Beware of the ..?...what! ...you cannot be serious... entrance to the former Wooperton station, 8 August 2007. ...
John Furnevel 8/08/2007

This was a single platform station with a loop. The platform was on the west side on the loop line. The building was a two storey stone building, typical of the line. There was a signal box opposite the north end of the passenger platform, similar to that at Norham.
...

More details
View east on 8 August showing part of the now privately owned Hedgeley station on the Cornhill Branch. ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2007
Part of the former station building at Hedgeley, Northumberland, photographed in August 2007 looking north towards Wooler. ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2007

This was a single platform station with a passing loop. The platform line was the slow line, on the west side. Glanton itself, a village, is off to the west. The two storey station building was typical of the line.
...

More details
Approach to the long closed Glanton station on 8 August. View north towards Wooler. ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2007
The country station at Glanton, Northumberland (closed 1930), looking north along the platform side towards Wooler on 8 August 2007. ...
John Furnevel 08/08/2007

This former island platform is a remarkably complete large site. The station building, a single storey, had canopies. On the west side was a large goods shed. To the east a row of railway cottages. The line was crossed by a girder bridge to the south. The building and the use of an island platform was not typical of the line.
...

More details
Scene at Whittingham station, Northumberland, on 29 May 2004. View is north along the island platform towards Wooler, with the old goods shed standing ...
John Furnevel 29/05/2004
The down platform of Whittingham station, Northumberland, photographed looking south in May 2004. The station, on the Alnwick - Cornhill line, closed ...
John Furnevel 29/05/2004
A view north over the Whittingham station site on 19 May 2014 - looking as if it's being renovated after 80 odd years out of use. [See image 22386] ...
Peter Todd 19/05/2014
The old station building at Whittingham, seen here on 2 October 2007 looking north towards Wooler.
...
Colin Miller 02/10/2007

This was a single platform station with a passing loop. The passenger platform was on the south side with a two storey stone building typical of the line. The signal box was on the opposite (north) side of the line.
...

More details


This substantial station closed in 1968. The station building remains standing and there are portions of platforms. It was the terminus of the line from Alnmouth and, from 1887, the line from Coldstream (the junction was south of the station.)
...

More details
The interior at 'Barter Books' in the former Alnwick station trainshed.

...
John Yellowlees 22/06/2017
Alnwick Station, now Barter Books bookshop ...
Alistair MacKenzie 23/03/2010
The north corner of the former Alnwick station in February 2012. The main entrance to what is now 'Barter Books' is just off picture to the ...
Colin Alexander 16/02/2012
Alnwick station frontage - May 2004. ...
John Furnevel 23/05/2004