Royal Border Bridge (1850-)
Opened on the Newcastle and Berwick Railway.
This is a double track 28 arch viaduct which crosses the River Tweed between Berwick-Upon-Tweed and Tweedmouth.
The engineers were Robert Stephenson and T. E. Harrison. Construction began in 1847 and was completed in 1850, officially opened by Queen Victoria. On completion, the bridge linked the North British Railway, on the north bank, with the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway. It completed a gap in the railway between the [[North British Railway on the north bank, which opened in 1846 from Edinburgh to Berwick, and the Newcastle and Berwick Railway opened in 1847, between Newcastle and Tweedmouth.
Network Rail - Royal Border Bridge
Other railway and industry locations
Royal Border Bridge
Berwick Roundhouse Shed
Scremerston Colliery and Tile Works
Scremerston Colliery Incline House
Scremerston Colliery Restoration Pit
Lamberton [Border Crossing]
Scremerston Lime Works
Foulden Tithe Barn
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North-east v. 4 (A regional history of the railways of Great Britain)
Newcastle (Rail Centres)