Grantshouse

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Grant^s House (1846-1915)
Grantshouse (1915-1964)

Opened on the North British Railway.


Description

This was a two platform station immediately south of the small village of Grant's House.

Today there are loops on either side of the line with two engineers' s siding at the east end of the southbound loop.

The sidings are located on the site of the former station buildings on the southbound platform. The main station building, typical of the line, was a single storey building in stone. The building was badly damaged by a runaway locomotive in 1961. There was a timber shelter on the northbound platform.

There was a goods yard at the west end of the station, reached by a reversing spur from the southbound line. The yard had a goods shed at the west end of the southbound platform. A further siding was to the south of the station, also reached by reversal this time from the northbound line. To the east of the station, on the north side of the line, was a large water tank.

The box here was replaced in 1918 and closed in 1978, replaced by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.

Penmanshiel Tunnel was to the west. Brockholes Bridge is to the east. This bridge was washed away in the severe floods of 1948 which closed the railway. Further flood damage brought tonnes of material onto the line immediately east of Grantshouse station.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map