A portion of this line remains, in abeyance, at the south end of Millerhill Marshalling Yard (British Railways). The original line was due to terminate in Roslin but the North British Railway requested the company extend to Glencorse (Glencorse Extension (Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway)).
|/ /1877||Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway|
Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
|01/05/1933||Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway|
Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway closed to passengers.
These locations are along the line.
This location is out of use. The junction was immediately south of Millerhill station (1849). It was the junction between the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) of 1847 and the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway of 1874. (The 1831 Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway alignment was off to the west.)
This was a single platform station about a third of a mile east of Gilmerton. The platform was on the west side of a single track line with a station building and signal box at the south end. A small goods yard with siding and loading bank was on the west side of the line, south of the station, approached from the north. A station cottage was on Gilmerton Station Road to the west, alongside the ...More details
The box controlled access to the Pentland and Straiton Oilworks Railway for Straiton Oil Works and Pentland Oil Works. The signal box, 'Straiton', was on the east side of the line at the junction. It opened in 1877. The branch was accessed from the north.
This was a small paraffin works on the east side of Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway at Edgefield east of Straiton. It was served by a siding on the east side of the line, approached from the south. This siding was the Edgefield Siding which also served the Edgefield Candle Works, to the south of the oil works.
This was a single platform station. It remains an excellent example of a small North British Railway station with platform, station building, station house and goods shed.
This was the site of a signal box which controlled access to the short branch to the Burghlee Colliery, one of the Loanhead Collieries. Access was from the north with the sidings on the west side of the line. To the immediate south is the Bilston Glen Viaduct. From a small yard by the junction the lines ran west to further sidings at the loading area, south of the colliery.
This viaduct was built in 1892, engineered by James Bell, to replace a viaduct of 1874. This is a single track viaduct crossing the Bilston Burn with a 331 ft truss girder, approached by spans on either side. The overall length is 444 ft.
This station was in the north of Roslin. It was terminus of the line from 1874 to 1877. It was a single platform station (on the south ie village side of the line). The line was single track with a passing loop by the platform. The station building was joined to a railway cottage (similar to Loanhead).
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Glencorse Branch (Locomotion Papers)