Glencorse Extension (Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway)

Introduction

This was a single track railway which extended the line from Roslin to Glencorse and the north of Penicuik, serving Mauricewood Pit and the Penicuik Gasworks en route. The principal engineering feature was the Glencorse Viaduct, now demolished.




Locations along the line

These locations are along the line.

This station was in the north of Roslin. It was terminus of the line from 1874 to 1877. It was a single platform station (on the south ie village side of the line). The line was single track with a passing loop by the platform. The station building was joined to a railway cottage (similar to Loanhead).
...

More details
After leaving Roslin station the EL&R passed below the B7006, which carried the village's Main Street over the formation. Passenger services on the ...
John Furnevel 14/03/2016
Looking south away from Roslin station. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking south west towards the site of Roslin station (now a housing development) along the overgrown EL&RR trackbed on 28 February 2011. The rail ...
John Furnevel 28/02/2011
'The human cannonball' must have experienced a similar view just before some joker shouted 'FIRE!' Looking south west along the the ...
John Furnevel 13/02/2012

Opened around 1876 by the Glasgow Iron Company and known as 'The Moat' after the farm just to the north. The company also owned the Motherwell Malleable Iron Works.
...

More details



This station was the terminus of the Glencorse Extension (Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway). It was on the Glencorse Estate built alongside Glencorse Barracks and west of Auchendinny. The barracks was a military prison dating from 1803, becoming a barracks in 1875.
...

More details
Surviving abutment of a former railway bridge that once spanned an access road just south of Glencorse, photographed in March 2016. The freight only ...
John Furnevel 13/03/2016
Looking south towards the former station from the south portal of the tunnel at Glencorse. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Immediately after leaving Glencorse station the line entered a tunnel under the A701 road before emerging onto the approach to the now demolished ...
John Furnevel 22/09/2002
The surviving crane pivot on the site of the old goods yard at Glencorse, an area now criss-crossed by pathways linking the local housing development ...
John Furnevel 17/02/2011


This mine was sunk by the Shotts Iron Company in the 1870s, originally for iron ore for the Shotts Iron Works and later coal. It was the site of a disaster, a serious pit fire, which resulted in the deaths of 63 miners. This pit disaster is considered the worst in Lothian mining history.
...

More details

The Penicuik and District Gas Company works were opened on the 30th of June 1878. The works was at the north end of the town on a small site between the A701 (to the west) and Loan Burn (to the east). Prior to this coal gas produced by the Valleyfield Mill was used in the town.
...

More details
Part of a still discernible trackbed in Lady Wood alongside the A701 on the northern approach to Penicuik, photographed in February 2016 looking east. ...
John Furnevel 27/02/2016

This colliery was sunk by the Shotts Iron Company. This company had a lease on the minerals in an extensive area from Cornbank to Glencorse including Eastfield.
...

More details