This viaduct was built in 1892, engineered by James Bell, to replace a viaduct of 1874. This is a single track viaduct crossing the Bilston Burn with a 331 ft truss girder, approached by spans on either side. The overall length is 444 ft.
The viaduct fell out of use in 1969, with track being removed in 1972. It was restored as part of a footpath in 1997.
This viaduct replaced a viaduct by Thomas Bouch which had five piers, the tallest at 134 ft high.
Burghlee Colliery (opened 1860) was nearby, beyond the north end of the viaduct, and served by the line. Bilston Glen Colliery opened in 1963, closing in 1989.
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Rosslynlee Hospital Halt
| Burghlee Colliery|
Burghlee Ground Frame
Bilston Glen Colliery
Edgefield Weighs Cabin
Straiton Oil Works
Pentland Oil Works
Eldin Chemical Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Glencorse Branch (Locomotion Papers)