The Glasgow cattle market moved to Bellgrove in 1817. The market was rebuilt several times and this market dates from around the 1870s.
The sheds are out of use, partly demolished and partly listed.
The main market was in the east with an abattoir to the north west and meat market to the south west.
Bellgrove station was to the east, the lines passing under the market. There were two sets of rail served cattle pens at the station, one to east of the station on the north side of the lines and one to the south of the station.
Other locations had rail served cattle pens, the cattle being driven through the streets to the market.
Closure was around the late 1960s and the site was used for car auctions for some years.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Bellgrove Tunnel|
Bellgrove Independent Tunnel
Bellgrove Cattle Bank South
High Street Junction
Bridgeton Cross South Junction
High Street Goods Signal Box
Bellgrove Cattle Bank North
Bridgeton Cross Tunnel
Barracks Mineral Yard
College North Junction
Barrack Street Tunnel
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
Bellgrove Coal Depot
Bridgeton Central Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Tanks were based in this market in 1919 around the time of 'The Battle of George Square'. This deployment was the first such use of tanks to control a civilian population. The market became the 'tankodrome'.