This line is closed. The line was also known as the North British Railway's (and later London and North Eastern Railway's) Hamilton Branch.
The passenger carrying parts of the line were double track and colliery branches single track.
With this line, the North British entered territory which had been served by the Caledonian Railway. Its initial backers, however, were Coatbridge and Glasgow ironmasters seeking an independent line to carry coal from Hamilton and Bothwell to their works.
Simple. Boxes by McAlpine. And Burnbank Stn.
The line was closed to passengers, except miners' trains, during the Great War.
Initially from College, later from Hyndland and Clydebank via Shettleston to Hamilton. Via LL Queen Street and Blairhall, Coatbridge Central to Hamilton.
|/ /1874||[Glasgow Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway]|
Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway authorised
|/ /1879||[Glasgow Bothwell Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway]|
[North British Railway]
Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway absorbed by North British Railway (Alternative date 1879).
This line is divided into a number of portions.
This junction between the North British Railway's Glasgow-Coatbridge line and the Hamilton Branch opened in 1877 and closed on 04/10/1965, with the closure of the line to Mount Vernon Colliery. There was a small set of sidings on the Hamilton branch and a Glasgow bound loop.
This was a two platform station on the Hamilton branch from Shettleston. The station was on an embankment. Platforms were built in timber.
This was a two platform station of which very little remains.
This two platform short lived halt served the Glasgow zoo, Calderpark Zoo. Immediately to the east was the North Calder Viaduct NB. Small station buildings were provided. ...More details
This viaduct over the North Calder also passed over Roundknowe Road at the same location. To the west was the short lived Calderpark Halt and to the east the sidings for the Bredisholm Branch and Clydeside Colliery, followed by Maryville station. ...More details
This was a two platform station serving a small community and the neighbouring collieries at Clydeside and Bredisholm.
This was a two platform station on the North British Railway's Hamilton branch. The next station west was Maryville and east Uddingston East, from which signalling was controlled. There were no goods facilities.
This colliery was served by both the Caledonian Railway (from a siding accessed from the Uddingston station direction) and North British Railway (from a siding accessed from the Uddingston West station direction. The NBR approach was a later addition added after the opening of the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway. ...More details
This station was just to the south of the cross over Uddingston Junction of the Caledonian Railway. The station had a goods yard and two platforms. Being one of the larger stations on the line, and the original NB Uddingston station, it had a station building on the northbound platform and shelter on the southbound. The signal box (1900) was located at the north end of the station. Closed ...More details
The gas works opened after the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway and was served by a siding from the yard at Bothwell Junction [NB] . ...More details
Double track passenger and goods line from Bothwell Junction to Hamilton [NB] .
This was a two platform station on the North British Railway's Hamilton Branch. It was one of the more substantial stations on the line having a station building on the northbound platform and shelter on the southbound. It was located in a shallow cutting with a retaining wall on the southbound platform side.
This viaduct on the North British Railway's Hamilton branch crossed the River Clyde just south of Bothwell and east of Blantyre. The condition of the viaduct led to the line being cut back to Bothwell [NB] , just to the north, in 1952. Formerly the line had continued south to Craighead Signal Box, Auchenraith, and Hamilton [NB] .
This shed was located alongside Blantyre Junction. It may also have been known by that name. This was a three road shed on the east side of the line, with track running south to join the line to Hamilton [NB] . ...More details
This was a two platform station south of Blantyre Junction [NB] and north of Burnbank Junction. This had a small station building on the northbound platform and a shelter on the southbound. It was located in a cutting.
This signal box was south of Burnbank station. It controlled access to the North British Railway's branch to Earnock Colliery (also served by a Caledonian Railway line from their Hamilton branch) and Wellhall Colliery. Both colliery lines joined facing Bothwell [NB] . Further east was Peacock Cross station. ...More details
This was a two platform station. The main building was on the westbound platform with a shelter on the eastbound. There was no goods yard, but there were a considerable number of mineral lines nearby. The station was in the west of Hamilton.
This foundry was immediately east of Peacock Cross station on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway and was served by a siding. Unusually for the area, the Caledonian Railway had no siding. ...More details
This was a terminus with two platforms to the north of the competing Caledonian Railway's Hamilton Central. The northern of the two platforms was aligned a little further west. The main platform had a small trainshed enclosing the platform line.alongside the station building. The trainshed was later removed. The station drive ran onto the east end of the island platform. The lines serving ...More details
This was a workers' halt for the near Bothwell Park Colliery. The halt is not shown on OS maps. It was probably located just to the east of the sidings for the colliery. ...More details
This was a two platform station. A small goods yard was on the west side of the station, approached from the north. There was a signalbox, Bellshill North, to the north of the station. Around 1900 a branch opened to Hattonrig Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4 with approach from the Bothwell direction.
To the east was a large yard for the Calder Iron Works on the line to Faskine. The yard was on the original alignment of the Monkland and Kirktintilloch Railway, the railway being deviated to the north. The far end of the deviation was at Calder Iron Works Signal Box.
Single track goods only line from Blantyre Junction to the Blantyre pits. It is sometimes known as the Auchinraith Branch, although strictly speaking this was a branch from this line.
This was the western end of the North British Railway's Blantyre branch (1878) from Blantyre Junction [NB] . The Blantyre pits were already served by the Hamilton and Strathaven Railway. This was a link to the existing lines with a loop and signalling. The opening date of the box is uncertain. Closure was in 1932 after which the branch was not signalled. The west end at Blantyre Pits ...More details