Peacock Cross

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Peacock Cross (1878-1916)

Opened on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station. The main building was on the westbound platform with a shelter on the eastbound. There was no goods yard, but there were a considerable number of mineral lines nearby. The station was in the west of Hamilton.

The line running to the west ultimately turned north to Bothwell [North British].

To the immediate east the line crossed the Caledonian Railway's Hamilton branch - crossing, by means of a long bridge, the lines to Allanshaw Colliery, Fairhill Colliery and Cadzow Colliery, Bent Colliery and Hamilton Central station. Of these, the NB line only served Allanshaw Colliery with a curve running from west to south to join the CR line at the colliery.

Immediately east of Peacock Cross station was the tall (giving a view over Wellhall Road) Allanshaw Signal Box which controlled access to the Allanshaw Colliery and Allanshaw Foundry. The line continued east to the terminus at Hamilton [NBR].

Peacock Cross station closed to passengers in 1916. Allanshaw Signal Box closed in 1948. The line closed to passengers in 1952.

In 1952, when the line was cut back and singled (closed north of Blantyre Junction [NBR] and east of Peacock Cross) a link from the CR Hamilton line was put in here to give access to the stump of the Blantyre branch and Allanshaw Foundry. A loop was retained at the station. The link was from the former Cadzow Colliery line, via a reversal coming from the CR line. Access to the foundry was by multiple reversals from the CR line, the ultimate of which was on the bridge over the CR line. The link, and the line to Blantyre Junction [NBR] was closed in 1963 on opening of a new short link from Strathaven Junction.

Nothing now remains of the station, just a landscaped footpath.

Tags

Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
01/08/2020


Dates

01/04/1878Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
Line opened to passengers. Stations at Uddingston [NB], Bothwell [North British], Greenfield (later re-named as Burnbank), Hamilton Peacock Cross and Hamilton [NBR].
  /  /1882Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
Hamilton Peacock Cross re-named Peacock Cross.
02/06/1919Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
Line re-opened to passengers at end of Great War, Peacock Cross not re-opened.
23/05/1948Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
Allanshaw Signal Box (Peacock Cross) closed.
15/09/1952Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
Hamilton [NBR] to Peacock Cross (Allanshaw Foundry) (excluded) closed to all traffic.