Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway.
This was a two platform station on the North British Railway^s Hamilton Branch. It was one of the more substantial stations on the line having a station building on the northbound platform and shelter on the southbound. It was located in a shallow cutting with a retaining wall on the southbound platform side.
The signal box was replaced in 1896.
It became the terminus of the line in 1952 when the line south to Hamilton [NBR] was closed. It closed to passengers in 1955 after which a signalman traveled to the box as required. Closed to goods 6th June 1961.
Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2 was located immediately west of the station. Sidings south of the station allowed departures from the colliery to head north to Bothwell Junction to take either the Shettleston or Coatbridge routes.
The southern approach to the station, sidings and colliery access were controlled from Bothwell Station signal box. Further south was the Craighead Viaduct.
Bothwell Park Halt
| Bothwell Castle Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2|
Craighead Signal Box
Blantyre Junction [CR]
Craighead Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Bothwell and Uddingston Gas Works
Whistleberry Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Craighead Yard [Loaded]
Craighead BP Chemicals Siding
Bothwell Castle Colliery Signal Box
David Livingstone Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|