Carnbroe Iron Works

Location type

Works

Name and dates

Carnbroe Iron Works (1838-1921)

Description

This iron works was on the east side of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway, south of Whifflet. (Slag processing was located on the west side of the line, on the east bank of the South Calder Water). The works was owned by Merry and Cunningham.

Connections

Wishaw and Coltness Railway
- Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box
- Carnbroe North Signal Box
- Carnbroe South Signal Box
- Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works

Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway
- Carnbroe Signal Box

Tags

Iron works
11/09/2020

Dates

  /  /1829Wishaw and Coltness Railway
Act receives Royal assent. Line gauge was 4ft6in and was extended slowly south from Whifflet and Carnbroe Iron Works to the Coltness Iron Works Railway and the Chapel Colliery. A branch was authorised to Newarthill to meet the Omoa Iron Works Railway. Further authorised branches to Rosehall and Law were not built.