Carnbroe North Signal Box (1914-1963)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This signal box was on the west side of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. It controlled access to Calder Iron Works and Carnbroe Iron Works and replaced both Calder Iron Works Signal Box [CR] and Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box in 1914.
Carnbroe South Signal Box was opened half a mile to the south. A loop ran along the east side between the two boxes. Also to the south and on the west side was access to the Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works.
Both Calder Iron Works and Carnbroe Iron Works closed in 1921. The Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works survived their closure.
The box closed in 1963.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Other railway and industry locations
Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box
Calder Iron Works Signal Box [CR]
Carnbroe Iron Works
Carnbroe Signal Box
Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works
Calder Iron Works
Calder Iron Works Signal Box [NBR]
Whifflet Central Junction
Whifflet South Junction
Carnbroe Signal Box [CR]
Rosehall Colliery Pit No 6
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)