Calder Iron Works Signal Box [CR] (-1914)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
Calder Iron Works signal box controlled the southern approach to the Calder Iron Works from the Wishaw and Coltness Railway. The works approach was on the east side of the line and approached from the south. The junction was located on a bridge over the North Calder Water. The signal box was on the east side and just to the south of the junction.
The works was already served by the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway from the north.
To the south, on the west side of the main line, were sidings approached from the north for a slag processing area (Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works).
Although the box was located alongside the Carnbroe Iron Works (just to the east) it was approached from the south, from a junction controlled by Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box.
In 1914 the layout was altered and Calder Iron Works Signal Box [CR] and Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box closed. Both were replaced by Carnbroe North Signal Box (to the south and on the west side).
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Other railway and industry locations
Carnbroe Iron Works
Carnbroe North Signal Box
Carnbroe Signal Box
Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box
Calder Iron Works
Calder Iron Works Signal Box [NBR]
Whifflet Central Junction
Whifflet South Junction
Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works
Calder Hot Roll Tube Works
Whifflet East Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)