This signal box controlled access from the Whifflet Central Junction to Bothwell Junction line to the Carnbroe Iron Works (to the east) and Rosehall Colliery (west) via a connection to the Rosehall Railway.
Access to the iron works was from the south. The siding left from the east side south of the signal box, crossed over the North River Calder to reach a triangular junction - the main iron works line passed under the Wishaw and Coltness Railway to reach the works. To the south of the triangle, on the west side of the W&C there were sidings serving a slag processing plant and tip on the east bank of the North River Calder (Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works).
The iron works closed in 1921 and the connection was taken out.
A large yard of dead end sidings was established in the 'V' of the junction around 1910-1920. This yard was accessible from the north. The signal box was closed in 1945.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Calder Iron Works Signal Box [CR]|
Carnbroe North Signal Box
Carnbroe Iron Works Signal Box
Carnbroe Iron Works
Carnbroe Slag Crushing Works
Calder Iron Works
Rosehall Colliery Pit No 6
Whifflet South Junction
Whifflet Central Junction
Calder Iron Works Signal Box [NBR]
Shawhead Colliery Rosehall Colliery Pit No 5
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|