Mount Vernon [NB] (1878-1952)
Mount Vernon North (1952-1955)
Opened on the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station on the Hamilton branch from Shettleston. The station was on an embankment. Platforms were built in timber.
The site is now occupied by housing.
The goods station was half a mile closer to Shettleston Junction. A catch point on the southbound line existed a little further north to prevent runaways to the junction.
The station name was changed in 1952 to differentiate it from the former Caledonian Railway station.
Mount Vernon signal box was located to the south of the station and controlled access to the mineral line to Burntbroom Colliery Pit No 1, also served by the Caledonian Railway.
Further east was a short branch to Barrachnie Colliery and Brickworks which ran north from close to the bridge over the Caledonian Railway line.
The next station south was Broomhouse, the line crossing of the Caledonian Railway Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway en route.
The box closed in 1927, replaced with a ground frame (probably on closure of Burntbroom Colliery Pit No 1). The station closed to passengers in 1955. The line south closed in 1961 and completely in 1965. (These dates may apply to Mount Vernon Goods [NB], just to the north.)
Mount Vernon North
Other railway and industry locations
Mount Vernon Goods [NB]
Burntbroom Colliery Pit No 1
Shettleston South Signal Box
Barrachnie Colliery and Brickworks
Mount Vernon Iron and Steel Works
Kenmuirhill Signal Box
Shettleston East Signal Box
Daldowie Colliery Pit No 1
Kenmuir Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 2
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 1
Shettleston PW Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|