Opened on the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).
Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.
This is a two platform station on the former North British Railway's Glasgow to Coatbridge line. The main station building is on the westbound platform with a car park to the south.
The original main building was on the westbound platform too.
The station is immediately west of the former Shettleston Junction and a small permanent way depot, Shettleston PW Depot. It became a junction station in 1877 on the opening of the branch to Hamilton.
The Shettleston Iron Works, immediately to the south, was rail served from the goods yard which was located to the west and south of the station, served from the west. To the north was the Acme Machine Works, also rail served from the west and a narrow gauge line ran north to Greenfield Colliery (Threestonehill Pit No 7). Access to the works and the western approach to the station was controlled by Shettleston West Signal Box.
Mount Vernon North
London Road [Glasgow]
Other railway and industry locations
Acme Tube Works
Eastbank Girder Works
Shettleston PW Depot
Shettleston West Signal Box
Shettleston Iron Works
Frankfield Brick Works
North British Bottle Works
Shettleston South Signal Box
Greenfield Colliery (Threestonehill Pit No 7)
Shettleston East Signal Box
Mount Vernon Iron and Steel Works
Mount Vernon Goods [NB]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|08/01/1956||Glasgow City and District RailwayCoatbridge Branch (North British Railway)Monkland and Kirkintilloch RailwayBathgate and Coatbridge Railway (Monkland Railways)Edinburgh and Bathgate RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Last regular Glasgow Queen Street Low Level to Edinburgh Waverley via Shettleston, Coatbridge Sunnyside and Bathgate Upper service runs.