This is a three platform terminus with a glazed roof. (It was four, but one platform's track is lifted.) There is a circulating area, covered by a glazed barrel ceiling with a small shop. The ticket office is by the main entrance off East Princes Street. At this entry is a two storey building facing the street, with a private lane on its west side. There is also a passageway entrance from the carpark to the north. The station is located in the centre of the town, close to the sea but one block inland from it.
The original station was somewhat smaller, rebuilding being around 1890. The original station was described in the Ordnance Survey Name Book thus
A large brick building situated Princes St, it is the Terminus of the Glasgow - Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
The station is not far from Helensburgh Pier, a block away to the south and a little west, and the West Bay beach and its Esplanade, a promenade which stretches west for half a mile. To the east the flywheel of the PS Comet [I] can be found displayed in a small area of park overlooking the sea
About a mile uphill, and past Helensburgh Upper station, which is much closer but with far fewer trains, can be found the Helensburgh Hill House designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh. (Much closer is another one of his works, the Mackintosh Club .)
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
| Helensburgh Shed|
Helensburgh Gas Works
Helensburgh Upper Goods
Helensburgh Construction Camp
Woodend Level Crossing
Craigendoran West Signal Box
Craigendoran West Yard
Ardencaple Level Crossing
Helensburgh Hill House
Craigendoran Old Ferry Pier
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|28/05/1858||Glasgow Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway|
Opened as single track from Cowlairs Junction to Bowling and Dalreoch Junction to Helensburgh. Due to a disagreement over station access charges between the company and the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway the first trains ran to Buchanan Street using the Sighthill Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) and a connection at St Rollox with the Buchanan Street Extension (Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway) line. The disagreement was resolved a month later.
|04/09/1894||West Highland Railway|
Helensburgh to Garelochhead train de-railed at Woodend Farm Crossing by a stone placed on the line.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)