Airdrie South (1861-1952)
Opened on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways).
Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.
This is the main station in Airdrie with three platforms, one a bay for services to Glasgow. The two main platforms are served by east-west trains from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate.
To the south of the station was the goods yard and carriage sidings, served from the west. To the north was a scrapyard also served from the west.
On the eastbound through platform, at the west end, was the signal box. This was replaced in 1960.
To the east the line was crossed by the approach to the competing Airdrie [CR] and the short Bellsdyke branch ran south to Bellsdyke Colliery. The eastern approach was protected by a sand drag siding.
The station has a car park, on the site of sidings. One of these survives alongside the bay line.
With the closure of the line east to Bathgate the eastbound platform fell out of use and the station became a terminus, with only the former westbound track continuing east to Moffat Mills (the line was singled in 1979). With the closure to freight the line was retained out of use until the passenger service was extended east to Drumgelloch [1st]. With full re-opening to the east the eastbound platform has been rebuilt and eastbound track relaid.
The signal box survived closure in 1991 for the Yoker resignalling (Yoker Signalling Centre) and remained standing on a disused platform until the line to Bathgate reopened and the box demolished and platform rebuilt.
Airdrie Hallcraig Street
Commonhead (Airdrie North)
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Airdrie Shed [CR]
Gartness Junction [CR]
Imperial Tube Works
Bellsdyke Colliery Pit Nos 4 and 5
Springwells Colliery Pit No 3
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|