Opened on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways).
This was a two platform station. The station was located at the east end of Hillend Loch in an area of low population. Forrestfield consisted of a row of cottages and a stage coach inn.
Platforms passed under a minor road but were largely located to the east of the bridge. There was a loading bank siding on the south side, originally approached from the east, later modified to the west.
Until 1900 the station was a loop which broke a single track section west to Caldercruix and east to Westcraigs Junction.
The station closed, with many in the Monklands, in the 1930s. (The platforms survived until 2009). The loading bank, now approached from the west, remained after closure to passengers.
The signal box was located to the east of the station, on the south side of the line. This 1904 box replaced the original 1895 box when the line was doubled. It closed in 1959.
Forrestfield Inn survived the station until the 1980s. This was located on the main road, to the west of the station. The inn predated the station and was rebuilt on several occasions.
The spelling Forestfield was also used for this location.
The line was closed between 1981 and 2010. From the late 1980s the trackbed became a cycleway. With the re-opening the site was cleared of any remains. The station did not re-open, the location still has a very low population.
Holmes Summit is just to the west of the station.
Caldercruix was the next station west, Westcraigs was the next station east. Today the equivalents are Caldercruix and Blackridge.
Clarkston (West Moffat)
Other railway and industry locations
Raiziehill Loading Bank
Lochend Colliery Pit No 5
Longriggend Colliery Eastfield Pit No 1
Lochend Colliery Pit No 4
Auchingray Coal Pit No 1
Hillend Coal Pit No 1 and 2
Caldercruix Print Works
Drumbow Colliery Pit No 1
Longriggend Colliery Pit No 8
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|