New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)

Introduction

This railway was closed in the 1980s except for a short section from Coatbridge Sunnyside to Moffat Mills Junction, a short branch ran Moffat Mills. Passenger services terminated at Airdrie.

After closure of the freight branch the line east of Airdrie was closed and then re-opened to passengers to Drumgelloch [1st] (Airdrie) as a single track line. Much of the closed route became a cycle-way.

The line has reopened throughout with new passenger stations. The cycle-way has been re-aligned alongside.

The line is also known as the New Monkland Line. It was built by the Monkland Railways.



Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Brownieside to Armadale

This was a junction between the Ballochney Railway's Clarkston (West Moffat) branch of 1828 and the later Calderbank Iron Works Branch (Monkland Railways) of 1855. The lines here were single track.
...

More details

This junction was east of Airdrie on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways). When opened in 1859 the western end of this line met the former Ballochney Railway close to Calderbank Junction. In 1861 the new line was completed by the opening westwards of Brownieside Junction to Greenside Junction, this new portion avoiding the inclines on the older route.
...

More details

This was a two platform station with a level crossing at the west end.
...

More details
Plains looking east. Note the platform on the left. ...
Ewan Crawford //
View east from the level crossing at Plains. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/02/2010
Looking east at Plains station. The old platform has gone. You may be pleased to learn that that is not an orange clad figure drowning in a watery bog ...
Ewan Crawford 26/09/2009
The rail bridge over the A89 on the eastern outskirts of Plains, seen here looking towards Caldercruix on 2 May 2010 with the new deck now in place. ...
John Furnevel 02/05/2010

This junction was east of Plains station. It served the siding to Stepends Colliery and Stepends Brick Works. (These were connected by a long aerial ropeway to Ardenrigg Colliery Pit No 6 to the south east.)
...

More details
A view west of the former Stepends Junction in December 2008. Work to reinstate the Airdrie - Bathgate line began shortly afterwards. Two mineral ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2008

This signal box was for Stepends Junction (to the west) and Plains Junction (to the east). The box was on the north side of the line at Barblues.
...

More details

This junction was at Barblues, between Plains station (to the west) and Caldercruix station (to the east). It was the junction for the short colliery line to Brownieside Colliery No 3 which was north of the line and to the west of the junction, reached by reversal. From the branch another line ran north to Barblues Colliery, which had tramways to further pits.
...

More details

This signal box was west of Caldercruix station, located on the north side of the line where the sidings for Caldercruix Mill were located. These were on the south side of the line, approached from the west.
...

More details

This was a paper mill in Caldercruix.
...

More details

This is a two platform station.
...

More details
A Milngavie service pulls in on 20 June. Caldercruix Main Street has the 5 small-town essentials: a Chinese takeaway, an Indian takeaway, a ...
David Panton 20/06/2018
The 10.40 Helensburgh Central - Edinburgh Waverley arrives at the eastbound platform at Caldercruix on 8 May. ...
John Furnevel 08/05/2014
334027 heads west on the approach to Caldercruix on 2 April 2011. ...
Bill Roberton 02/04/2011
Looking west from the platform 1 passenger access ramp at Caldercruix in May 2014. A 6-car 334 EMU combination, led by an SPT liveried set, is passing ...
John Furnevel 11/05/2014



The summit of the line, 656 ft, is at the east end of Hillend Reservoir, a little west of the former Forrestfield station. The line runs along the south bank of the reservoir. The closest station today is at Caldercruix, to the west, today.
...

More details
The former Airdrie to Bathgate line seen at Forrestfield Summit in 2008 just as reinstatement works began and prior to its new name. The bridge was to ...
Ewan Crawford 26/12/2008
The 12.27 Milngavie - Edinburgh Waverley about to pass the 'Holmes Summit' board alongside Hillend reservoir, between Caldercruix and Blackridge, on ...
John Furnevel 19/09/2011
A mid morning Edinburgh - Milngavie service about to pass Holmes Summit, between Blackridge and Caldercruix, on 23 September 2013. The name ...
John Furnevel 23/09/2013
The 12.27 Milngavie - Edinburgh Waverley service approaching Forrestfield through the rain on 19 September 2011. The train is running alongside the ...
John Furnevel 19/09/2011

This was a two platform station. The station was located at the east end of Hillend Loch in an area of low population. Forrestfield consisted of a row of cottages and a stage coach inn.
...

More details
334 031 heads west away from Forrestfield on 2 April. ...
Bill Roberton 02/04/2011
The abandoned former stagecoach inn close to Forrestfield station (1862-1930) standing alongside the A89 between Airdrie and Bathgate. Seen here on a ...
John Furnevel 02/05/2010
Forrestfield in the middle distance and Hillend Reservoir with old line running beside it.
...
Gordon Steel 00/08/1995
The 1048 Edinburgh Waverley - Helensburgh Central approaching Forrestfield, North Lanarkshire, on 15 May 2015. ...
John Furnevel 15/05/2015


This was the junction between the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways) and the Hillhouserigg Railway. The branch was approached from the east. It was directly west of Westcraigs station and its goods yard. The main line was originally single track and the branch was single. The nearby station had a loop and the original junction box was on the eastbound platform.
...

More details
View west over Westcraigs Junction. It's much more difficult now to tell this is a former junction site with the former line to Shotts taking off to ...
Ewan Crawford 27/06/2010

This was a two platform station immediately east of Westcraigs Junction. There was a goods yard to the south, approached from the west, with a double height loading bank
...

More details
B1 61278 makes a water stop at Westcraigs on 3 December 1966 with the BR Last B1 Excursion. [Ref query 1524] ...
Bruce McCartney /12/1966
334 025 brings up the rear of a six car train from Helensburgh Central to Edinburgh Waverley on 16 March. The train is passing the site of the former ...
Bill Roberton 16/03/2011
To the east of Westcraigs looking east. To the left (Woodend Colliery) and right branches ran to coal mines. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Scene at the former Westcraigs station at the end of August looking west along the remaining platform towards bridge no 28. This area is currently ...
John Furnevel 28/08/2009

An Edinburgh service calls at Blackridge on 28 June and picks up its young customer. Blackridge station must suffer from being not particularly close ...
David Panton 28/06/2018
A mid morning train from Helensburgh Central calls at a grey and misty Blackridge, West Lothian, in September 2011 on its journey to Edinburgh. The ...
John Furnevel 19/09/2011
Blackridge station in all its isolation. Note the length of the ramp, nowadays necessary in a station without lifts. The wind turbines all around were ...
David Panton 28/06/2018
The 1039 Helensburgh Central - Edinburgh Waverley arrives at Blackridge on a foggy 19 September 2011. ...
John Furnevel 19/09/2011

This junction was east of today's Blackridge station. Three mineral lines ran from here and there was a yard. There was a signal box (replaced in 1904 when the line east was doubled). The box was on the north side of the junction. Woodend Junction was the site of a loop when the railway was still single track. The loop line was on the north side.
...

More details

This station was located to the west of the overbridge. To the east of the bridge was a passing loop on the line when it first opened. The present Armadale station has opened on the site of the loop.
...

More details




West Moffat Branch









Woodend Colliery Branch

This junction was east of today's Blackridge station. Three mineral lines ran from here and there was a yard. There was a signal box (replaced in 1904 when the line east was doubled). The box was on the north side of the junction. Woodend Junction was the site of a loop when the railway was still single track. The loop line was on the north side.
...

More details






This colliery was opened around 1870 by the Coltness Iron Company Limited. It was north west of Armadale, West Lothian. The site for which it is principally known was Pit No 5.
...

More details
Woodend Colliery washery at night. View looks northwest. This once rail served colliery was east of Westcraigs. ...
Ewan Crawford //




Greenside to Brownieside

This was a double track junction east of Coatbridge Sunnyside. It was formed between the Kipps branch of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway and the later New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways).
...

More details
Airdrie and Balloch services pass at the site of Greenside Junction on 4th May 2019.
...
Alastair McLellan 04/05/2019
This is the site of Greenside Junction, with the Bathgate and Coatbridge Railway turning to the right while the line to the Kipps Shed and the ...
Alastair McLellan 04/05/2019

This is a two platform station near Monklands Hospital. The station did not open with the line. When built it was a very rural location, it is now in the west of Airdrie. To the east of the station is the Coatdyke Viaduct. ...

More details
An Edinburgh service pulls into the rather spartan station at Coatdyke in Coatbridge on 6 February 2019. ...
David Panton 06/02/2019
320 309 calls at Coatdyke on 17 March 2010 with a service for Balloch. ...
David Panton 17/03/2010
Glasgow bound service about to leave Coatdyke station on 8 July 2009. ...
John Steven 08/07/2009
Looking along platform 1 at Coatdyke station in August 2006 as a train for Airdrie departs. ...
John Furnevel /08/2006

This is a ten arch double track viaduct east of Coatdyke station. ...

More details
Airdrie to Balloch train passing over Centenery Ave Viaduct approaching Coatdyke station (4/3/17). ...
Alastair McLellan 04/03/2017

This is the main station in Airdrie with three platforms, one a bay for services to Glasgow. The two main platforms are served by east-west trains from Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate.
...

More details
Dusk falls on Airdrie as an Edinburgh to Milngavie service calls on 1st November 2017.
...
David Panton 01/11/2017
An Edinburgh to Milngavie service changes drivers at Airdrie on 17/06/2017. ...
David Panton 17/06/2017
334 009, with its set number applied by a child, calls at Airdrie with an Edinburgh to Milngavie service on 13 July 2019. ...
David Panton 12/07/2019
334 008 pulls out with a westbound service while 318 254 sits in the bay. Trains from Balloch are timed to arrive shortly after the last one going the ...
David Panton 22/10/2016


This was a single platform terminus.
...

More details
320 305 stands at the terminus at Drumgelloch on 15 September 2007. ...
David Panton 15/09/2007
Trackbed preparation work in progress on the Airdrie - Bathgate route at Drumgelloch in June 2010. View is east from Crowwood Drive towards the site ...
John Furnevel 14/06/2010
View west at the site of Crowwood Drive road bridge on 8th August 2009. The former Drumgelloch station can just be seen in the background. ...
Colin McDonald 08/08/2009
Looking east from Drumgelloch towards Clarkston (Lanarks). ...
Ewan Crawford //

This is a two platform station.
...

More details
An Edinburgh service calls at Drumgelloch on 25 October 2018. The street off-camera to the right is called 'Station Road' but the station was the ...
David Panton 25/10/2018
An Edinburgh-bound service calls at Drumgelloch on Saturday morning,
...
David Panton 17/06/2017
Sign at Drumgelloch, the last of the new stations on the Aidrie - Bathgate line, which opened to passengers on Sunday 6 March 2011. ...
John Yellowlees 06/03/2011
An Edinburgh to Helensburgh service departing from Drumgelloch, early evening on 3 May 2011. ...
John Steven 03/05/2011

This was a two platform station. The line is open but station closed in 1956. The main station building was on the eastbound platform. There was a signal box at the west end of the westbound platform. The box closed in 1965. There was a small goods yard to the north of the westbound platform, approached from the west.
...

More details
The old bridge carrying Towers Road, Airdrie, looking west along the trackbed in December 2008. On the other side of the bridge is the site of ...
John Furnevel 26/12/2008
The trackbed through the old station site at Clarkston (Lanark) in December 2008 looking east towards Towers Road bridge. Two years later this would ...
John Furnevel 26/12/2008
Heavy plant occupying the trackbed of the Airdrie - Bathgate route at Drumgelloch on 11 September 2009 as work continues on demolition of Towers Road ...
John Furnevel 11/09/2009
View west to the B8058 where a new bridge is being built over the re-opening line. ...
Ewan Crawford 17/02/2010

Half a mile east of Moffat Mills Junction the trackbed was reverting to nature. ...
Ewan Crawford //1987
A walk in the woods on the eastern outskirts of Airdrie in September 2009 during work on reinstatement of the Airdrie - Bathgate line. Photograph ...
John Furnevel 11/09/2009
Looking east over the former Moffat Mills Junction. The branch to the right served the Inverhouse Distillery. ...
Ewan Crawford //
Looking west towards Drumgelloch from the former Moffat Mills. The masts are up but there's no wires. ...
Bill Roberton 27/09/2010

This junction was east of Airdrie on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways). When opened in 1859 the western end of this line met the former Ballochney Railway close to Calderbank Junction. In 1861 the new line was completed by the opening westwards of Brownieside Junction to Greenside Junction, this new portion avoiding the inclines on the older route.
...

More details