Coatbridge Sunnyside

Location type


Name and dates

Coatbridge Sunnyside (1864-)

Opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.

Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.


This is a two platform station with the main building, on the Glasgow bound platform. The brick built building is a single storey. The Sunnyside Coffee Company is based in the station building.

The ticket office was on the overbridge at the west end of the station, the building removed around 1988.

There was a goods yard in what is now the car park, on the south side of the line, approached from the east. Just west is Sunnyside Junction.

To the north was a siding for the Lamberton Works, approached from the east.

The station is built on a deviation of the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway the former goods yard (now car park) being the stump of the former route which had been further south - the realignment allowed an expansion of the Gartsherrie Iron Works.

Later, with the opening of the route west to Glasgow High Street, there was a further slight realignment to the south.

Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life is not far from the station, but requires a fair walk to reach the entrance.


Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life is not far from the station.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67