Easterhouse

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Easterhouse (1871-)

Opened on the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).

Open on the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Bathgate and Airdrie.


Description

This is a two platform station. It is located between Easterhouse itself (to the north) and Swinton to the south. North of the ststion runs the M8, formerly the Monkland Canal. To the south was Hallhill Colliery Pit No 1.

The station historically had staggered platforms, the eastbound platform being to the east of the Easterhouse Road overbridge and the westbound to the west, although accessed by a stairway to the east of the bridge. Opposite the eastbound platform, on the south side of the line, was the goods yard with a loading bank and goods shed approached via a reversing spur. The main station building was at the east end of the westbound platform.

To the west, on the south side of the line, was the Easterhouse Wagon Works, approached from the west.

The westbound platform has been relocated east, to the site of the goods yard. The former loading bank was demolished in the 1990s. The wagon works no longer exists.

For much of the existence of the station it was in countryside. Development has now entirely surrounded the station, although a great deal of farmland remains to the east.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map