Boots Airdrie Factory

Location type


Name and dates

Boots Airdrie Factory (1949-2003)

Served by the Ballochney Railway.


This factory was opened on the north east edge of Airdrie at Rawyards in 1949 by Boots of Nottingham.

The factory was rail served, a group of sidings, some looped, outside the sheds in the north of the site, just east of the sheds and a siding running into the southern part of the sheds. A loop stood to the east where the lines merged.

These sidings connected to a railway from Brownieside Junction on the Airdrie-Bathgate line. The siding ran out from close to Calderbank Junction (the connection was just to the east of the former junction). The Calderbank branch closed around 1960, this new factory kept the line open until 1967.

The Brownieside Junction line had formerly run through to Rawyards, but the Rawyards-Calderbank Junction portion closed in the 1920s. Interestingly this line had started life in 1828 as the Clarkston branch of the Ballochney Railway.

The factory closed in 2003, long after railway access had been removed. The site was cleared and is now a housing estate.

There had been a short siding here, on the north side of the line by Calderbank Junction called Callertree Siding.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

  /  /1949New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Boots Airdrie Factory to Calderbank Branch Junction opened.This was a realignment and extension of Colliertree Siding.
  /  /1967New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Boots Airdrie Factory to Calderbank Branch Junction to Brownieside Junction (excluded) closed.