Brownieside Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Brownieside Junction (1861-1967)

Opened on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways).


This junction was east of Airdrie on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways). When opened in 1859 the western end of this line met the former Ballochney Railway close to Calderbank Junction. In 1861 the new line was completed by the opening westwards of Brownieside Junction to Greenside Junction, this new portion avoiding the inclines on the older route.

To the east of the junction, on the south side of the line, was the western access to Brownieside Colliery Pit No 1.

The Calderbank route ceased to be a through route in 1923 but remained to access the Calderbank Iron Works Branch (Monkland Railways) and later the Boots Airdrie Factory.

The box, on the south side of the junction, closed in 1963, after which there was a ground frame at Brownieside Junction, released by Caldercruix box. The junction closed in 1967 and line closed altogether in 1982. It re-opened as a modern electrified railway in 2010.



Chronology Dates

  /  /1861New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Opened to goods and minerals from Greenside Junction to Brownieside Junction.
  /  /1967New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Boots Airdrie Factory to Calderbank Branch Junction to Brownieside Junction (excluded) closed.


Vanished Railways of West Lothian