Location type


Name and dates

Plains (1882-1951)

Opened on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways).


This was a two platform station with a level crossing at the west end.

As initially built, this was a passing loop on the single track New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways). The station opened later. The line was doubled around 1904.

Just west of the station was Brownieside Colliery Pit No 1. This was on the south side of the line. By the 1960s there was a storage depot on the north side of the line opposite the colliery site. This was rail served and served from the east.

To the west was Brownieside Junction and, further west, Clarkston station.

To the east was Stepends Junction and Caldercruix.

The station closed in 1951. The line was singled in 1979 and the box became a gate box.

The site of the tall signal box (east side of level crossing, north side of line) was used for a house after closure of the line in 1982 (the box had closed with the line). In preparation for the 2010 re-opening the house was demolished. A station did not re-open here. The nearest stations are now Drumgelloch (west) and Caldercruix (east).

The storage depot, since extended, is Rowan Timber.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

  /  /1882New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Plains station opened.
  /08/2018New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways)
Agreement between political parties that a station should be opened at Plains. (Station not opened.)

News items

19/11/2011Neil calls on Transport Minister to deliver new railway station for Plains [STV]
14/07/2011MSP tackled over railway station issue [Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser]


Vanished Railways of West Lothian