Westcraigs

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Westcraigs (1862-1956)

Opened on the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways).


Description

This was a two platform station immediately east of Westcraigs Junction. There was a goods yard to the south, approached from the west, with a double height loading bank

The main station building, a brick building in North British Railway style, was on the westbound platform, with a waiting room to its west. A timber waiting room was on the eastbound platform and a water tank to its east. A station cottage was to the south.

The station was a mile west of Woodend Junction and its yards. This served Westrigg Colliery Pits Nos 2 and 3 and Woodend Colliery.

The line was closed completely in 1982. The platforms, station house and loading bank remained intact.

Around 1988 the route was converted into a footpath, which destroyed (or buried) the eastbound platform.

Work began in 2009 to reinstate the line. A new station would not be opened here, but further east Blackridge was opened by Woodend Junction in 2011. Of the older station the station house survives and the name Station Road.

The station was named for Westcraigs Hill and Westcraigs Farm (to the north) and the village of Westcraigs and Westcraigs Quarry (to the south). Blackridge is to the north, once just a farm its name now dominates.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map