Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Glasgow City and District Railway.
This was a terminus of a short branch from High Street station, providing a useful terminus in the east of the city, rather than have trains terminate (and block platforms) at Glasgow Queen Street Low Level. The station consisted of two terminal island platforms, both with glazed canopies. The signal box was at the north end of the station, recessed into the retaining wall on the east side. This opened with the line in 1892. The architect was Thomas Reid Peacock.
This station opened first, the competing Bridgeton Cross [CR] opened in 1895.
The carriage sidings on the east side of the station became an EMU Depot with electrification. These sidings remained open after closure of the station in 1979 (opening of the Argyle Line while the Yoker Depot was prepared, closing in 1986.
The signal box was replaced in 1912 and resignalled, in preparation for electrification, in 1960.
The station was closed in 1979 with the opening of the Argyle Line as it was duplicated by Bridgeton to the immediate south on a through route.
The two storey station red sandstone frontage on London Road is almost across the road from Bridgeton, just a little to its west. There are three arches entrances, flanks topped with round windows to either side. The ground floor now provides accommodation for shops. Behind are houses on the new Kerr Drive. Blocked off entries and former scars of the canopies can be seen on the rear wall in Winter.
London Road [Glasgow]
| Bridgeton Depot|
Canning Street Tunnel
Bridgeton Central Tunnel
Templeton Carpet Factory
Bridgeton Cross Tunnel
Dalmarnock Road Tunnel
Bellgrove Cattle Bank South
Bridgeton Cross South Junction
Dalmarnock Iron Works
Barracks Mineral Yard
London Road Tunnel
Bellgrove Coal Depot
Glasgow Green [Park]
The People's Palace
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|