Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was the finest station in Airdrie, a large terminus with a glazed trainshed covering two platforms - two faces of an island platform - and a circulating area. There was a goods yard to the east. The station was to the south of Graham Street and approached from the south. The signal box was to the south, closer to Airdrie Junction and on the west side of the line.
A locomotive shed was to the south on the east side of the line. The approach lines crossed the New Monkland Line (Monkland Railways) just east of Airdrie South station which was not as close to the town.
In 1917 the service to Whifflet Upper was withdrawn, but the Newhouse service continued. The Whifflet service restarted in 1919.
Passenger trains to Newhouse stopped in 1930. The station closed to passengers in 1943. The station survived as a goods depot after closure, without the roof.
The approach viaduct survived complete closure for a time and the site of the station can still be discerned as it was higher than the surrounding ground. It is now a car park and redeveloped area.
Airdrie Hallcraig Street
Commonhead (Airdrie North)
Clarkston (West Moffat)
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Airdrie Shed [CR]|
Victoria Engine Works
Airdrie Gas Works
Chapelside Boiler Works
Gartness Junction [CR]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|