Whifflet [High Level] (1886-1953)
Whifflet Upper (1953-1964)
Opened on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was an island platform station elevated above street level and crossing over Whifflet Lower (to the west) and Whifllet [NB] (to the east), and Coatbank Street. Much of the station still exists, increasingly overgrown. From the east end the embankment and bridges have been removed.
At some point the platform building was moved east. There were footways down to each platform on lower level and Coatbridge Street - the island platform forming the footbridge.
Rosehall Junction was to the west.
At the east end of the station Whfflet High Level signal box was on the south side of the line east of Coatbank Street. The Victoria Iron and Steel works was to the east (north of line) and opposite the Calder Hot Roll Tube Works was to south, both works being accessed from west.
The line east to Airdrie [CR] was singled in 1948.
The station closed in 1964. The line this to continue to serve the works directly to the east and Imperial Steelworks near Airdrie.
The signal box closed in 1965. The line continued to serve the works until only Imperial remained. The railway closed in 1990.
The east end of the station has been demolished, the portion crossing over Coatbank Street. Going east to Calder the line is overgrown.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Other railway and industry locations
Whifflet North Junction
Coatbank Engine Works
Rosehall Siding Signal Box
Whifflet East Junction
Lochrin Construction Works
Dundyvan Iron Works
Coatbridge Boiler Works
Sheepford Mineral Depot
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|