This was the junction between the 1886 Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) and the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway). The Airdrie line extended the existing railway east to Airdrie [CR] and was approached from the east. This was a double track junction. The signal box was on the south side of the line.
The climb to Airdrie [CR] was rather steep and banking was sometimes required.
The Airdrie route closed to passengers in 1943.
The line east to Whifflet Upper was singled in 1965, the eastbound line being lifted.
In 1973 the box closed, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
The line survived to serve Calder Hot Roll Tube Works and Imperial Tube Works. The former closed in 1986. The latter was rail served until around 1990, although it had been some time since a train had visited from the Clydesdale Steel Works.
The main line remains open here, now electrified.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Dundyvan Signal Box|
Dundyvan Iron Works
Rosehall Siding Signal Box
Coatbridge Boiler Works
British Tube Works
Coatbank Engine Works
Stobcross Rivet Bolt and Nut Works
Langloan Level Crossing Signal Box
Langloan East Junction
Souterhouse Colliery Pit No 2
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|