This station had two platforms and a goods yard at south end, east side, approached from south. The main building was on the northbound platform. It had a loop on an otherwise single track line. The signal box was at the south end of the northbound platform
To the north the Glasgow and Edinburgh Road passed overhead, which became an early dual carriageway bridge as the road was improved. The was to be the shape of things to come: the M8 is just to the north.
Newhouse Colliery Pit No 1 was to the south west, approached from south. A rail served pumping station was build to the east of the station.
The station opened on the 1888 line between Chapelhall (on a line progressively opened from Rosehall Junction, Whifflet) and Legbrannock Branch Junction.
The signal box closed in 1922 and the station closed 1930. The loop was lifted, the southbound line retained. The station building remained, in use as a house.
The line ceased as through route in 1941 with the demolition of the Calderbank Viaduct. Visited by a railtour. The line closed in 1966.
The platforms remain, now very overgrown. These were cleared of vegetation in the 1990s when remaining building was demolished.
Clarkston (West Moffat)
| Newhouse Colliery Pit No 1|
Newhouse Pumping Station
Linrigg Colliery Pit No 2
Cleland Colliery Pit No 20
Newhouse Colliery Greenside Pit No 2
Legbrannock No 2 Colliery
Legbrannock No 4 and 5 Colliery
Linridge Colliery Pit No 1
Mossband Colliery Pit No 2
Linridge Colliery Pit No 2
Lanridge Colliery Mossband Colliery Pit No 1
Legbrannock Branch Junction
Greenhill Colliery Pits Nos 9 and 12
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|02/07/1888||Airdrie and Newhouse Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Newhouse to Chapelhall opened.
|01/12/1930||Airdrie and Newhouse Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Newhouse to Airdrie [CR] closed to passengers
|04/04/1966||Airdrie and Newhouse Line (Caledonian Railway)|
Newhouse to Chapelhall closed to freight