Calderbank Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Calderbank Viaduct (1887-1941)

Opened on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This was a double track girder viaduct just east of Calderbank station and west of the Chapelhall Iron Works.

The line remained open to either side of the viaduct after its removal, the goods yard at Calderbank being reached by reversal and the blast furnaces and brick works at Chapelhall also being reached by reversal.

The Calderbank goods yard probably closed around the same time but remained intact for some time.

A single pier of the viaduct remains standing.

Tags

Viaduct

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map


Dates

  /  /1939Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)
Chapelhall (excluded) to Calderbank (excluded) closed to freight due to the poor condition of the Calderbank Viaduct.