This junction was to the south of Airdrie [CR] terminus station on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway) which opened in 1886 between Whifflet Upper (Rosehall Junction) and Newhouse (Legbrannock Branch Junction). This junction was at the northern apex of a triangle of junctions formed with Cairnhill Junction to the west and Gartness Junction to the south.
Both lines were double track (the Newhouse route as far as Chapelhall, beyond which it was single). The signal box was to the north of the junction, on the west side. On the west side of the junction was Albert Engineering and Boiler Works on the east side the Airdrie Shed [CR]. Just to the east of the junction, across the tracks from the box, was the headshunt of the goods yard at Airdrie [CR] which was to the north. The box opened with the line in 1886 and was renamed from 'Airdrie Station' to 'Airdrie Junction' almost immediately, in 1887.
Between 1917 and 1919 Airdrie to Newhouse became a self-contained passenger service when the passenger service west ceased.
The Newhouse service ceased in 1930.
Cairnhill Junction - Gartness Junction curve closed in 1935. The route to Calderbank was singled in 1939. In 1941 the route beyond Calderbank closed due to the condition of the Calderbank Viaduct - the line to the east survived and the line became two branches.
Airdrie [CR] passenger station survived until 1943. The goods yard headshunt was connected to a branch from Airdrie (NB station) to North West Factory.
The goods yard survived until 1964. The line was cut back and used as a reversing spur to the Imperial Tubeworks in 1990.
The location became a footpath. It is now a housing estate.
Airdrie Hallcraig Street
Commonhead (Airdrie North)
Calder Iron Works [Station]
| Iron Works|
Gartness Junction [CR]
Bellsdyke Colliery Pit Nos 4 and 5
Airdrie Shed [CR]
Coal Pit (Long after MandK)
Imperial Tube Works
Springwells Colliery Pit No 3
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|