Kilbowie [1st] (1879-1907)
Singer Workers Platforms (1907-1960)
Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a two platform station originally.
With the opening of the Singer Works in 1884 further platforms were added on the south side of the station, accessed from the east. To the west sidings lines served the works.
With expansion of the works around 1907 the through line closed, becoming a works line, and a deviation was opened to the north with Singer station.
Worker's trains came from numerous locations to serve the site. After closure of Bridgeton Central the destination board still bore a sign 'Singer Worker's Train'.
The line here is closed although Kilbowie Road still crosses over the trackbed, now a walkway. The station site is now the Clydebank Shopping Centre.
Singer Workers Platforms
Renfrew Fulbar Street
Other railway and industry locations
Singer Signal Box
Clydebank Central Junction
Dalmuir No 23 Tunnels
Dalmuir No 25 Tunnel
Clydebank East Shed
Singer Timber Yard
Turners Asbestos Cement Works
Dalmuir Park Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)