Uddingston Junction (1878-)
Opened on the Clydesdale Junction Railway.
This junction is east of Uddingston station. It is the junction between the Glasgow to Motherwell direct line (the 1849 Clydesdale Junction Railway) and line to Bellshill (1878 Uddingston Junction to Fullwood Junction (Caledonian Railway)).
The original Uddingston [1st] station was directly west of the junction, it was replaced by the present Uddingston station when the junction was opened.
The signal box was on the north side of the junction.
The junction was crossed by the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway in 1877 - presumably both junction and line built simultaneously. (On the GBH&CR this was between Uddingston West and Uddingston East).
The signal box was replaced in 1937 by a new box a little further east (this new box subsumed Viewpark Colliery Signal Box, which had been to the east, in 1938. (Viewpark was one of the unusual boxes controlling two lines approaching a junction but not the junction itself.)
The box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell signalling Centre. The junction remains open.
Bothwell Park Halt
Bothwell [North British]
Other railway and industry locations
Viewpark Colliery Signal Box
Uddingston Cement Depot
Clyde Viaduct [Uddingston]
Bothwell and Uddingston Gas Works
Blantyreferme Nos 1 and 2 Colliery
Bredisholme Collieries Pit No 2
Tannochside Colliery Pit No 3
Bothwell Park Quarry
Bothwell Park Brick Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|