This is a two platform station. It re-opened with the re-opening of the Rutherglen and Coatbridge Railway to local trains in 1993.
The original station opened in 1866, one year after the line opened to goods and minerals. The original and present stations are on the same site. When first opened the station was minimal. Two platforms and one small shelter. Larger shelters were provided when pits opened alongside the line.
Burntbroom Colliery Pit No 1 opened to the north of the station, served by a siding from the east (and also by the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway). There was a signal box at the east end of the station controlling access.
To the east, the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway crossed overhead (from 1877) and just to the east of that both lines served Daldowie Colliery Pit No 1.
The original station closed in 1943. The signal box closed in 1954, replaced with a ground frame.
Mount Vernon North
| Burntbroom Colliery Pit No 1|
Daldowie Colliery Pit No 1
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 2
Kenmuirhill Signal Box
Barrachnie Colliery and Brickworks
Kenmuir Colliery Pits Nos 3 and 4
Broomhouse Pit Colliery No 1
Mount Vernon Goods [NB]
Kenmuirhill Colliery Pit No 1
Carmyle Goods Yard
Carmyle South Signal Box
Shettleston South Signal Box
Mount Vernon Iron and Steel Works
Calderbank Colliery Tunnel
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|24/01/1927||Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway|
Mount Vernon signal box replaced with a ground frame.