Arbroath



Dates

  /  /    Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Barry Links Buddon Siding renamed Buddon Siding.
  /  /1836Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1836Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Act receives Royal assent.
  /  /1838Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Locomotives were supplied by Kinmond, Hutton and Steel of the Wallace Foundry, Blackness, Dundee.
06/10/1838Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Arbroath Lady Loan to Dundee Craigie opened. Stations opened at: Arbroath Lady Loan, Easthaven, Carnoustie [1st], Monifieth, Broughty Ferry, Dundee Craigie (a temporary terminus east of Dundee).
24/11/1838Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Opened partly with horse haulage. Stations opened at: Arbroath (Catherine Street), Colliston, Leysmill.
04/12/1838Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Leysmill to Forfar officially opened. Stations opened at: Leysmill, Friockheim, Guthrie, Auldbar Road, Clocksbriggs, Forfar [1st].
03/01/1839Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Completely opened. James Gow was the locomotive superintendent. Three locomotives were supplied by James Stirling of Dundee Foundry.
03/06/1839Dundee and Arbroath Railway Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway is extended west from Craigie to Roodyards by the Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway (Dundee Harbour Trustees). With the extension opened the temporary Craigie terminus closed.
02/04/1840Dundee and Arbroath Railway Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway
Roodyards to Dundee Trades Lane opened. Roodyards closed.
  /  /1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Converted to standard gauge from 5ft 6in.
  /  /1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway Aberdeen Railway
Act passed to allow the Arbroath and Forfar Railway to be leased by the Aberdeen Railway.
  /  /1846Dundee and Arbroath Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Junction Line (Dundee and Arbroath Railway)
Authorisation of a new D&A owned curve to link the Arbroath and Forfar Railway (at Almeriecloss) and Dundee and Arbroath Railway (at Geordie's Burn) with a new Arbroath Junction station. Also allows for abandonment of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway's terminus Arbroath Lady Loan.
  /  /1846Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier authorised, a tightly curved line. The pier to be operated in connection with the ferries to Tayport.
30/07/1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Arbroath (Catherine Street) to Friockheim doubling contract let, contractor Robert Moffat (Junior).
07/08/1846Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Friockheim to Forfar (Playfield) doubling contract let, contractor David Murray.
  /  /1848Arbroath and Forfar Railway Aberdeen Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway leased by the Aberdeen Railway.
  /  /1848Dundee and Perth Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
The Dundee and Perth Railway is given permission by parliament to lease the Dundee and Arbroath Railway. (Not done at this time.)
  /  /1848Dundee and Perth Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Dundee Junction line authorised to link the Dundee and Perth Railway to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway (Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway). (Not built.)
01/02/1848Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Arbroath (Lady Loan) closed and line cut back to the west where the new deviation connected.
01/02/1848Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Arbroath (Catherine Street) closed to passengers, replaced by the nearby Arbroath Junction station on the new link line. The station remains in use as a goods yard.
01/02/1848Dundee and Arbroath Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Junction Line (Dundee and Arbroath Railway)
New D&A owned curve to linking the Arbroath and Forfar Railway (at Almeriecloss) and Dundee and Arbroath Railway (at Geordie's Burn) opened. The curve includes the new Arbroath Junction station.
15/05/1848Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier opened. Broughty Pier station opened.
  /08/1848Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Junction Railway
The Dundee and Perth Railway, having take a lease of the Dundee and Newtyle Railway in 1846 and entered into a long term operational agreement with the Dundee and Arbroath Railway in 1848, changes its name to the Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Junction Railway.
02/08/1848Scottish Midland Junction Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Scottish Midland Junction Railway line opened from Perth to Forfar [2nd]. Forfar (Playfield) closed to passengers.
  /  /1851Dundee and Perth Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Proposed Dundee Junction line to link the Dundee and Perth Railway to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway (Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway) abandoned.
01/05/1851Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Ferry to Broughty Pier closed, having been replaced with a new curve running from Broughty Pier to Broughty Junction.
31/07/1851Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Barry opened.
  /  /1855Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Elliot Junction opened.
14/12/1857Dundee and Arbroath Railway Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway
Dundee East opened and Dundee Trades Lane closed.
14/12/1858Junction Line (Dundee and Arbroath Railway)
Permanent Arbroath Junction station opened.
  /  /1859Dundee and Arbroath Railway
West Ferry opened.
  /  /1860Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Ferry Shed and works closed and transferred to Arbroath.
  /  /1862Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Authorisation to expand Friockheim station, not done.
  /  /1862Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Authorisation to buy land at Guthrie to expand station.
31/01/1862Dundee and Arbroath Railway Scottish North Eastern Railway
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway is absorbed by the Scottish North Eastern Railway (official authorisation was in 1863).
  /  /1863Dundee and Arbroath Railway Scottish North Eastern Railway
Authorisation of the absorption of the Dundee and Arbroath Railway by the Scottish North Eastern Railway.
  /  /1866Dundee and Arbroath Railway
North British Railway authorised to purchase joint ownership of line.
  /  /1866North British Railway
Connection to the Dundee and Arbroath Railway authorised.
  /  /1867Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Ferry branch authorised.
  /  /1871North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway
Act for the Arbroath and Montrose Railway receives Royal assent. The Caledonian Railway is granted running powers over the route.
  /  /1872North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway
Link from Montrose to Broomfield Junction (on the Montrose and Bervie Railway authorised.
  /  /1872Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Authorisation to improve Broughty Ferry station.
  /  /1877North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway
As the railway not yet complete and the Act about to expire an extension of time is granted.
01/06/1878Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Junction to Broughty Pier closed to passengers with the opening of the Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway).
  /  /1879Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Agreement that a short portion of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway between Arbroath Harbour Junction and St Vigeans Junction should become joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway.
  /  /1880North British, Arbroath and Montrose RailwayNorth British Railway
Arbroath and Montrose Railway absorbed by North British Railway.
01/02/1880Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway Caledonian Railway North British Railway
Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway authorised (Caledonian Railway and North British Railway). This involved the bulk of the former Dundee and Arbroath Railway between Camperdown Junction and near Arbroath station and a short portion of the Arbroath and Forfar Railway as far as St Vigeans Junction. This followed the opening of the Tay Bridge [1st] in 1878 and the impending opening of the North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway of 1880.
01/02/1880Carmyllie Railway
Becomes joint Caledonian Railway and North British Railway, when the Dundee and Arbroath Railway becomes the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway.
01/02/1880Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Junction to Broughty Pier re-opened following the Tay Bridge [1st] disaster - Tay Bridge and Associated Lines (North British Railway).
19/06/1887Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Broughty Junction to Broughty Pier closed to passengers on opening of the new Tay Bridge.
  /  /1891 North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway
Act grants permission to double line. (Caledonian Railway included in Act, allowed to use second line.)
01/06/1893Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Barry Review Platform renamed Barry Links Buddon Siding.
  /  /1900Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Singled. Southbound track lifted.
  /  /1900Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Carnoustie rebuilt. (Often said to be relocated from west side of level crossing to east side - but maps show the station clearly on the east side before 1900.)
  /  /1900Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
Authorised to purchase land to widen line at Roodyards.
  /02/1901Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Stannergate opened.
  /  /1904Dundee, Broughty Ferry and District Tramways
Authorised. Act includes protection for the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway.
28/12/1906Dundee and Arbroath Railway
A North British Railway express which had been travelling from Edinburgh Waverley to Aberdeen Joint is blocked by snow at Arbroath and returns south. It strikes a local Caledonian Railway Arbroath to Dundee East train at Elliot Junction in a blizzard killing 22 passengers.
  /  /1907Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway
The Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway is authorised to purchase the Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway. In addition it is authorised to widen the line.
  /07/1910Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Buddon Siding renamed Buddon and opened to public
  /  /1911Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Rebuilding of Arbroath station complete. (Caledonian Railway authorised to buy land in 1900 and North British Railway in 1907.)
01/09/1914Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Buddon closed to public and renamed Buddon Siding.
01/05/1916Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Stannergate closed.
01/01/1917Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Clocksbriggs closed.
01/01/1917Dundee and Arbroath Railway
West Ferry and Elliot Junction closed.
01/02/1919Dundee and Arbroath Railway
West Ferry and Elliot Junction re-opened.
01/04/1919Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Barry renamed Barry Links.
01/06/1919Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Clocksbriggs re-opened.
01/01/1923Dundee and Newtyle Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway Caledonian Railway Glasgow and South Western Railway Callander and Oban Railway Glasgow and Kilmarnock Joint Railway Highland Railway Cathcart District Railway Killin Railway Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee Brechin and Edzell District Railway Dornoch Light Railway Wick and Lybster Light Railway
Grouped into London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
01/01/1923Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Railway (Caledonian Railway, Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway and North British Railway Joint)
Both the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway and Dumbarton and Balloch Joint Line become jointly owned by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and the London and North Eastern Railway.
  /  /1948Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Golf Street opened.
05/12/1955Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Arbroath (St Vigeans Junction) to Forfar (Guthrie Junction) closed to passengers. Colliston, Leysmill, Friockheim, Guthrie, Clocksbriggs closed.
05/12/1955Arbroath and Forfar Railway
St Vigeans Junction to Letham Mill Siding closed to goods.
11/06/1956Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Auldbar Road closed.
  /  /1957Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Buddon Siding closed.
05/01/1959Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Dundee East to Camperdown Junction closed to passengers.
  /  /1962Aberdeen Joint (Caledonian Railway) Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)
A4 Pacifics introduced on the Aberdeen to Glasgow Buchanan Street 3 hour Grampian run.
18/06/1962Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Balmossie Halt opened.
25/01/1965Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Colliston to Guthrie Junction (excluded) closed to goods.
03/09/1966Aberdeen Joint (Caledonian Railway) Aberdeen Railway Arbroath and Forfar Railway Scottish Midland Junction Railway Scottish Central Railway Caledonian Railway Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway Buchanan Street Extension (Caledonian Railway)
A4 Pacifics from Aberdeen to Glasgow Buchanan Street withdrawn.
  /  /1967Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Dundee East closed to freight.
19/06/1967North British, Arbroath and Montrose Railway
Montrose to Broomfield Junction closed to freight.
04/09/1967Aberdeen RailwayArbroath and Forfar Railway
Forfar North Junction (excluded) to Bridge of Dun (excluded) closed to all traffic.
04/09/1967Dundee and Arbroath Railway
West Ferry, Easthaven, Elliot Junction stations closed.
04/09/1967Scottish Midland Junction Railway
Arbroath and Forfar Railway
Newtyle and Coupar Angus Railway
Newtyle, Eassie and Glammiss Railway
Aberdeen Railway
Stanley Junction to Kinnaber Junction closed to passengers. Coupar Angus, Alyth Junction, Forfar and Bridge of Dun stations closed.
  /07/1982Trades Lane and Carolina Port Railway Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Dundee Harbour sidings closed.
16/05/1983Dundee and Arbroath Railway
Balmossie Halt renamed Balmossie, and Golf Street Halt renamed Golf Street.