Ayton station was to the south east of Ayton village, about half a mile away.
The main station building was on the Berwick bound platform (which was actually northbound and on the west side due to railway alignment here). The goods yard, with shed, turnplates and loading bank, was on the east side, approached from the south.
The signal box was at the south end, west side of the line. It was replaced in 1943 and closed in 1978, absorbed by the Edinburgh Signalling Centre.
There was a small oil depot on the station building site after closure to passengers, now cleared. A railway cottage, on the west side at the south end of the station, survives.
| Peelwalls Bridges|
Eye Water Viaduct
Lamberton [Border Crossing]
Marshall Meadows Signal Box
Free Kirk Bridge
Chirnside Paper Mill
Berwick North Signal Box
Foulden Tithe Barn
St Abb's Head Viewpoint
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian