Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).
This was a two platform station. The two storey main station building was on the southbound platform. To the immediate north of this was a staff bothy and a large water tank. To the south, over a level crossing, was Longtown Branch Junction where the routes to Carlisle and Gretna [NBR] divided. To the north was a goods yard on the east side and locomotive shed on the west side.
The Carlisle route crossed the River Esk, just to the south. The junction to the south was a double track junction, the Gretna route rapidly reducing to a single line. There were several sidings in the 'V' of the junction by the Gretna line. The signal box was on the west side of the line, south of the level crossing.
North of the station, on the west side, and approached from a reversing spur from the northbound line, was a two road shed, closed in 1923. No turntable.
North and on the east side was the goods yard. This had several looped sidings off the southbound line with at least three loading banks and a goods shed.
Longtown itself was to the east, reached a road crossing Longtown Bridge (crossing the River Esk).
With the opening of Kingmoor Marshalling Yard the Gretna [NB] line became the northern approach to the yard from the Waverley Route. The northbound connection from the branch was removed.
The station closed to passengers in 1969 and the line north closed. The route south was singled later in 1969 and the box reduced to a gate box. A year later this approach to the Government factory was abandoned and that from the West Coast Main Line took over completely. The lines south to Brunthill Siding and east to Bush-on-Esk Signal Box closed leaving very little of the Waverley Route remaining.
The site was cleared after closure. Although a small portion of red sandstone retaining wall remains north of the level crossing nothing else is obvious. The station site is now a warehouse. The goods yard an area of flattened ground. The viaduct is gone and the Gretna line obliterated by warehousing. Beyond the station area the trackbeds remain.
In 1899 a temporary signal box Longtown Viaduct was opened to the south on the main line.
During the Great War an additional box opened north of the station Longtown North between 1918 and 1923.
Gretna Green [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Longtown Branch Junction
Bush-on-Esk Signal Box
Bush-on-Esk East Junction
Bush-on-Esk West Junction
Longtown Exchange Sidings
Sandysike Brick Works
HM Factory Gretna Ether Section
Gretna MOD Junction
Peat Works (ex of ng railway)
Gretna Junction [NBR]
Admiralty Sidings Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Border Country Branch Line Album
Border Railway Portfolio
Borders Railway Rambles
Carlisle to Hawick: The Waverley Route (Scml)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The North British Railway a History
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: The District Controller's View 'Edinburgh (Waverley) - Carlisle Via Hawick'
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route