Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)

Introduction

This railway is closed. A portion of the trackbed is now used by the Glasgow Underground (formerly the Glasgow District Subway) for a test track.





Dates

  /  /    Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)
Locomotive shed, Govan Shed, opened at Govan.
01/05/1868Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)
Govan branch opened from triangular junction at Ibrox.
09/05/1921Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)
Timetabled passenger trains cease.
14/06/1966Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway)
Closed.
  /  /1970Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway) Princes Dock Joint Railway
Track lifted.

Portions of line and locations

This line is divided into a number of portions.


Ibrox Junction to Govan

A double track passenger and goods line ran from Ibrox Junction to Govan to serve various engine works and shipyards in the Govan area.

This junction opened in 1868 between the 1840 Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway and the Govan Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway). Ibrox station re-opened at the junction in 1871.
...

More details

There were two curving platforms on the Govan Branch at the junction with the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway, just before when Ibrox station opened on the main line (1870) on the site of Bellahouston [1st]. The two lines met at Ibrox Junction, immediately to the east.
...

More details

This was the originally northern apex of a triangular junction at the south end of the Govan branch allowing trains to enter the branch from either west (Paisley direction, Craigton Junction) or east (Glasgow direction, Ibrox Junction).
...

More details





This was a single platform terminus on the south side of Govan Road. The platform was on the west side of a loop and there was a large goods yard on the east side.
...

More details
HR 103 at Govan with the Scottish Rambler in 1965 ...
G W Robin 17/04/1965
At Govan. CR type 4.6.0 54634. The Stephenson Locomotive Society Renfrew District Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 03/05/1952
Approaching Govan. CR type 4.6.0 54634. The Stephenson Locomotive Society Renfrew District Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 03/05/1952
An 1869 poster announcing a fares reduction between Glasgow (Bridge Street) and Ibrox/Govan. The station at Govan stood at the terminus of a branch of ...
Ian Dinmore 11/08/1869

Harland and Wolff created this yard by merging and entirely rebuilding and re-purposing several yards. The former yards were much smaller in scale. The yard was on the south bank of the River Clyde just north of Govan station. It was bound to the west by Govan Old Parish Church and Govan Graving Docks to the east.
...

More details




Moorepark Junction to Craigton Junction

This curve completed the triangular junction at Ibrox for the Govan branch, although Craigton Junction with the Paisley line may not have been laid in. OS Maps show the curve being served from Moorepark Junction but not connected at Craigton. This curve was later used to approach the Govan Destructor.

This was the originally northern apex of a triangular junction at the south end of the Govan branch allowing trains to enter the branch from either west (Paisley direction, Craigton Junction) or east (Glasgow direction, Ibrox Junction).
...

More details






Clyde Foundry Branch

A short branch ran south from Govan station and then west to the Clyde Foundry.

This was a single platform terminus on the south side of Govan Road. The platform was on the west side of a loop and there was a large goods yard on the east side.
...

More details
HR 103 at Govan with the Scottish Rambler in 1965 ...
G W Robin 17/04/1965
At Govan. CR type 4.6.0 54634. The Stephenson Locomotive Society Renfrew District Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 03/05/1952
Approaching Govan. CR type 4.6.0 54634. The Stephenson Locomotive Society Renfrew District Tour. ...
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow 03/05/1952
An 1869 poster announcing a fares reduction between Glasgow (Bridge Street) and Ibrox/Govan. The station at Govan stood at the terminus of a branch of ...
Ian Dinmore 11/08/1869