Opened on the Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway.
Opened on the Shieldhall Branch (Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway).
This former goods yard site is on the west side of the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital. With little difficulty the branch could be re-opened as a passenger line from Cardonald Junction to serve the hospital. The trackbed is intact including the M8 closing the trackbed by bridge.
The original branch, from perhaps around 1878, was to serve the Shieldhall Lairage (to the east and opened in 1886) and Shieldhall Co-operative Works (to the west and opened in 1887-89). The branch was sold to the Caledonian Railway and Glasgow and South Western Railway in 1891.
This goods yard was the terminus of the Shieldhall branch of the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway. the southern part of this line was used as the start of the Glasgow and Renfrew District Railway.
The yard was laid out on the east side of the Shieldhall branch. It consisted of several groups of sidings, and a goods shed. This was both a goods and mineral depot.
There was a link to the tramway on Renfrew Road. This started from the south end of the yard, between the main branch and goods yard and joined the Renfrew Road tramway to allow trains to tun east to the Linthouse Shipyard.
To the north of the goods yard the branch split. The west portion served Shieldhall Wharf (west) and approached the north end of the King George V Dock and the east portion served Shieldhall Wharf (east) and continued to the Linthouse Shipyard.
The line closed in the late 1970s / early 1980s.
King George V Dock Platform
Whiteinch Victoria Park
Scotstoun Show Yard
Other railway and industry locations
Shieldhall Co-operative Works
King George V Dock
North British Engine Works
Shieldhall Scrap Yard
Clydeholm Shipbuilding Yard
Scotstoun Shipbuilding Yard
Scotstoun Iron Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|